PDA

View Full Version : e34 rear bumper removal.

octanejunkie
11-17-2005, 03:02 AM
Hi
Anyone know how to remove the rear bumper assembly from an e34. It needs a re spray. My manual is sketchy.

Jose
11-17-2005, 03:44 AM
Remove the black bumper protection strips. You'll find 4 17mm nuts onder there. Remove those and take of the bumper. No need to remove the inner bumper been for respray.

skr
11-17-2005, 05:34 AM
be carefull not to break the those 2 things that hold the sides in place. after you take the trim off to expose the nuts u will see 2 small caps on the sides. turn them with a screwdriver and they will pop off. with the 4 nuts of try to wiggle the bumper a bit. if it doesn't move probably those plastic slides are stuck to the rail( under the bumper). the safe way to do it is to remove part 8 in the diagram (unscrew), stic a long screwdriver through the hole and try to move it from the base to prevent breaking the small plastic pipe (don't realy know how else to call it).
i don't know if you will need this but mine were realy stuck with hardened dirt and stuff.
while you are at it u could also clean and paint the fixing plates on the shok absorbers if they got rust on them. and when you put it back on mont the sliding pieces (part 7) on the bumper and make sure they both go on the rail. and the lower black trim has to go over a guide on the plastic cover of the tow hook. otherwise it will sag near the muffler tip.

genphreak
11-17-2005, 05:45 AM
Pop the central strip insert (the black bumper rubber) with a flat screwdriver (coming from the bottom is the easiest way to avoid damage it). It clips in right across the width of the car, so you just pry it out all along once a bit is free. Behind it is four 12/13/14mm recessed nuts which attach it to the bumper shocks. You remove them with a ratchet in a minute, then the whoe thing slides off (best 2 use two people and a rug) so you don't scratch it on the ground...

Javier
11-17-2005, 05:51 AM
just rotate the circular plugs with a big flat screwdriver inserted in the groove.

Javier