PDA

View Full Version : Apexi Power Intake Filter

BigKriss
11-16-2005, 10:41 PM
I know the article is six years old. They say the Apexi Power Intake Filter kicks arse. Have other members heard of this air filter before?

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

are there better / larger ones around. I always thought Winfred's one was quite large.

Jon K
11-17-2005, 01:38 AM
I always thought Winfred's one was quite large.
That's the rumor....;)

Interceptor
11-17-2005, 02:04 AM
That's the rumor....;)OMFG, this board is really going in the wrong direction, and Jeff is the one to blame! :)

Edit: After giving it a second thought, Jeff & Gayle combination is responsible - Jeff was a pretty quite and humble guy before she came :)

Jose
11-17-2005, 03:49 AM
Apexi is one of the best in performance filters money can buy. All jap tuners use this **** or HkS filters. It filters better than a K&N, but it costs more too. For turbo/blower engines this is the **** to buy, just aslong as you make a usefull heat-shield around it.

As for larger ones being around, mine is 20 inches long and 8 inches thick.....

BigKriss
11-17-2005, 04:14 AM
this is what I was talking about.

http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/535%20r%20motor

BigKriss
11-17-2005, 04:15 AM
Apexi is one of the best in performance filters money can buy. All jap tuners use this **** or HkS filters. It filters better than a K&N, but it costs more too. For turbo/blower engines this is the **** to buy, just aslong as you make a usefull heat-shield around it.

As for larger ones being around, mine is 20 inches long and 8 inches thick.....
Long time no hear Jose, thanks dude.

emw525E34
11-17-2005, 04:19 AM
Kris,

The K&N filters are used in the APACHE helicopters in the wars. Thats good enough for my car. It certainly flows well and when used with heatshield will bleed off "stop light" heat soak in 2 mins. I have measured that with two digi temps in my setup during my headshielf design.

BigKriss
11-17-2005, 04:22 AM
Hi Frankie, I haven't heard many good comments from K&N though with regards to its filtering abilities.

octanejunkie
11-17-2005, 04:50 AM
Unless you change the air flow meter for a mass air flow sensor, any filter/induction kit will have very little effect on the performance of your car. Its the air flow meter inlet and outlet that causes the restriction of air flow to the engine. Will give a nice roar when you plant the throttle though!

BigKriss
11-17-2005, 04:59 AM
Unless you change the air flow meter for a mass air flow sensor, any filter/induction kit will have very little effect on the performance of your car. Its the air flow meter inlet and outlet that causes the restriction of air flow to the engine. Will give a nice roar when you plant the throttle though! yep, or change to a map setup (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14986&highlight=map+sensor).

grave77
11-17-2005, 05:06 AM
I agree ... AFM is blocking air enough that any K&N filter will not show significant difference. if u dont have a turbo setup .. the filter will not cause any difference. if u really want to see the difference before you buy, remove the filter and close the filter box as if its inside. drive it around and see. some guys used to tear the filter with a blade few tears in the sides to allow more air flow. still I personaly tested it and I didnt feel much progress. think about it kriss when you turbo charge ur car