PDA

View Full Version : Broken rear subframe mounts

Hypr5
11-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Ok, so my rear subframe mounts aren't doing their job as they were intended to anymore.

Had an undercar inspection done and you can clearly see that there is LOTS of play there and one side is quite a bit worse than the other. The back does feel like it steers itself a little bit and has a bit of a wiggle, not perfectly straight. It's almost like a loose front - just the whole car feels like it.

As this issue progresses, are there any safety issues? What kind of symptoms will I be looking at in the end?? Any tips or stories would be great.

Thanks!

Hypr5
11-16-2005, 11:03 PM
bump

genphreak
11-17-2005, 05:59 AM
Ok, so my rear subframe mounts aren't doing their job as they were intended to anymore.

Had an undercar inspection done and you can clearly see that there is LOTS of play there and one side is quite a bit worse than the other. The back does feel like it steers itself a little bit and has a bit of a wiggle, not perfectly straight. It's almost like a loose front - just the whole car feels like it.

As this issue progresses, are there any safety issues? What kind of symptoms will I be looking at in the end?? Any tips or stories would be great.

Thanks!It won't do much for the rest of the bushes and moving parts... I'd get in there and swap all the bushes, mounts, dogbones and sway bar arms over as soon as you can manage it. Sorry no fun stories for you, except I did break my centre bearing and that could have been due to stresses from a little excessive wheelspin a while ago- no doubt aggrevated by worn suspension parts...

Mine doesn't float around and steer the car like you describe, but she's 17 so I'm on planning the job soon, the parts aren't much really when you do it all in one go its a very worthwhile weekend jobbie...

Hypr5
11-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Well when I did the undercar inspection they checked and pry'd at everything - everything seemed to be ok with the exception of the subframe mounts. Nothing else had excessive play or anything - they all functioned as normal - then he was able to pull the subframe mount down a good 3" or so. blah.

It's a job that at the moment I don't have the resources to do. I no longer have access to a garage and without a flat space to jack up the rear, I'm not exactly comfortable. I'd use a friends garage, but I hear horror stories of how long this job CAN take if the bushings are cracked or seperated - I don't want to hog someones garage for more than a day.

I'm just wondering - do I shell out the cash or stick it out??
hmmmm. confused. :(

pyro
11-18-2005, 02:35 PM
You can hog my garage during this week. familys going away to the cabin.