PDA

View Full Version : ethanol and the m20 525

pong
11-16-2005, 10:27 AM
does this combination sound right or is this a potential source of problems?

new fuel is coming out here with a mixture of ethanol... any ideas? i think octane rating is at 97 and 95

thanks!

Jay 535i
11-16-2005, 10:29 AM

new fuel is coming out here with a mixture of ethanol... any ideas? i think octane rating is at 97 and 95

thanks!

I think the owner's manual says somewhere that you can fill it with up to 20% ethanol with no problems. I'm pretty sure it's in there. You can check.

AFAIK, all cars can handle in the region of 10-20% ethanol with no problems.

Bill R.
11-16-2005, 10:46 AM
2.8% o2 which equates to 10% ethanol or 15% mtbe or 3% methanol, however they state that hesitation , stalling and starting problems may occur with such fuels especially under certain ambient conditions such as high temperature and high altitudes... this is from bulletin 1301881564

thanks!

pong
11-16-2005, 10:58 AM
how ould u define hesitation? acceleration problem?

where can i read this bulletin>

Bill R.
11-16-2005, 11:02 AM
defined as a lag or pause anytime you give it gas, when you push the gas pedal down there is a period of time where there seems to be no response from the engine and a short time later it finally accelerates...

how ould u define hesitation? acceleration problem?

where can i read this bulletin>

pong
11-16-2005, 11:06 AM
oh ****... that sounds bad... i thought the higher the octane the better it will accelerate? the ethanol as a much higher octane than gasoline... so combining it will increase the overall octane... any comments on this theory of mine? (dunno if its valid)

Bill R.
11-16-2005, 11:11 AM
energy per pound than gasoline does..so in order to make more power with ethanol it takes a lot more of it, as far as air to fuel ratio that is.... Also by running higher octane through the use of ethanol that will allow you to advance the timing more , in which case you would see a possible performance gain, but there again not in your case, your case has the timing fixed according to the dme chip , you don't have knock sensors so your timing won't advance using a higher octane so there's nothing to be gained for you... in fact you would probably lose performance as well as gas mileage using a 15 to 20% ethanol gasoline..

oh ****... that sounds bad... i thought the higher the octane the better it will accelerate? the ethanol as a much higher octane than gasoline... so combining it will increase the overall octane... any comments on this theory of mine? (dunno if its valid)