PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum, quick question about steering.

SkyWalker
03-06-2004, 08:32 PM
Hey all I just bought a 95 525i. It was my first car ever, and Im more then happy its a bimmer. Enjoyed the car alot so far, the only problem is when I hit about 60mph, the steering wheel and the whole car starts to shake. Personally I thought it was the balancing or the alignment, how ever if it were anyone of those, you'd think it would shake even more at higher speeds. But oddly enough, if I go over 65, everything works just fine and no shaking at all. Any idea's anyone? :)

jplacson
03-06-2004, 08:44 PM
That should be the infamous thrust arm (upper control arm) bushings. :) My car is in the shop for the same reason. :) Go to www.bmwe34.net for the procedure, and parts :)

Rory
03-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Hey all I just bought a 95 525i. It was my first car ever, and Im more then happy its a bimmer. Enjoyed the car alot so far, the only problem is when I hit about 60mph, the steering wheel and the whole car starts to shake. Personally I thought it was the balancing or the alignment, how ever if it were anyone of those, you'd think it would shake even more at higher speeds. But oddly enough, if I go over 65, everything works just fine and no shaking at all. Any idea's anyone? :)
Welcome and congrats on the new car. As was mentioned above the Thrust Arms are a possibility. But, if it happens while cruising I would check elsewhere first. You can visually inspect the thrust arms for wear and replace if necessary. But I would guess based on your symptoms that you either have a bent wheel or one or more tires are out of balance. I would have the balance checked/redone first if the thrust arms look OK.

Good Luck,
Rory

jplacson
03-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Oh, supposedly another way to check if it is the thrust arms, is under moderate braking... the car will shimmy as well under braking.

SkyWalker
03-06-2004, 11:41 PM
Hey thanks alot guys. Really appreciate the help. At least now Ive got somewhere to start with out having to spend a couple hundred to just get a starting point. And I know it was a big jump going from not ever having a car to having a bimmer, but it was "damn worth it" :D
And being totally noob and clueless about cars, I think I've found alot of useful information by just spending some time and looking at the site, and reading through the forums. Thanks again!