PDA

View Full Version : Schnitzer shocks and springs question

dlee
11-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Hey all, I ran across a set of Schnitzer shocks and springs for an e34. From the spring part number I know the set is for a 535i, and I was wondering if they'd fit on a '95 540i.

My main concern is that Bilstein shocks for the e34 come with different sized dust caps and nuts. Anyone know if the 535 (don't know the year...) has the same dust cap/nut size as a '95 540?

thanks

David

genphreak
11-17-2005, 06:37 AM
Hey all, I ran across a set of Schnitzer shocks and springs for an e34. From the spring part number I know the set is for a 535i, and I was wondering if they'd fit on a '95 540i.

My main concern is that Bilstein shocks for the e34 come with different sized dust caps and nuts. Anyone know if the 535 (don't know the year...) has the same dust cap/nut size as a '95 540?

thanks

DavidI am fitting 540 suspension to my 535 shortly. I have all the parts here and can tell you-

535 has different upper nut sizes front and rear.

Different upper mounts on the front (but I think rears the same)... I think the dust caps depend on year of manufacture. Not 100% again would need to check... but I think so. Springs are different part numbers, but I don't think they are that much different (perhaps a slight rate difference... but I doubt it will be important- they look the same and the weight differene is very small).

ie If you want to install 535 shocks, you'll need 535 front upper mounts, new nyloc nuts and perhaps those dust caps... the rest should be ok. :) nick

motuman
11-17-2005, 11:37 AM

thanks

David

I have a brand new AC Schnitzer kit (shocks and springs) for an e34 540 that I bought and never installed. My car is a 540 M-Sport and I decided to try and repair the original EDC suspension.

I might be interested in selling the 540 Schnitzer kit if you want the right parts for you car. I'm not sure if the calibrations are different, but the Schnitzer part numbers are definitely different for a 535 and a 540. You might try calling Schintzer and see if the tuning is different for the 540 from the 535.

Booster
11-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Does anyone know who AC Schnitzer uses to make their shocks or springs ??
,...........Vinny :)

motuman
11-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Does anyone know who AC Schnitzer uses to make their shocks or springs ??
,...........Vinny :)

Schnitzer uses Bilstein bodies that they tune (via valving) to their own specification and usually (but not always, I think) Eiback Springs wound to the their own specification.

dlee
11-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Motuman, please contact me directly at dlee1@tulane.edu, I'm interested in maybe buying the suspension kit.

Thanks,

David

I have a brand new AC Schnitzer kit (shocks and springs) for an e34 540 that I bought and never installed. My car is a 540 M-Sport and I decided to try and repair the original EDC suspension.

I might be interested in selling the 540 Schnitzer kit if you want the right parts for you car. I'm not sure if the calibrations are different, but the Schnitzer part numbers are definitely different for a 535 and a 540. You might try calling Schintzer and see if the tuning is different for the 540 from the 535.