PDA

View Full Version : Dash Gauge Cluster and Trip Meter Reset

athflying79
11-15-2005, 07:25 PM
My two buttons coming out of the gauge cluster don't work. One is to reset the tripmeter and the other one...don't remember what all it does...think it clears error messages, etc. Anyway, the light behind the odometer went out, so I was going to replace the bulbs in the back and while I have the cluster out, I would like to fix the button problem as well. Don't think it has anything to do with capacitors, so looking for other suggestions. Thanks ahead of time.

Aaron

Jay 535i
11-15-2005, 08:01 PM
One is to reset the tripmeter and the other one...don't remember what all it does...

The 'other' one cycles through error messages, if there're more than one.

Sorry I can't help you fix it.

uscharalph
11-15-2005, 08:09 PM
The 'other' one cycles through error messages, if there're more than one.

Sorry I can't help you fix it.
It also clears that display if you are cycling through the obc functions (By pressing the turn signal stalk).

Jay 535i
11-15-2005, 08:23 PM
It also clears that display if you are cycling through the obc functions (By pressing the turn signal stalk).

True. The CODE button also does that.

athflying79
11-16-2005, 05:21 AM
How do I fix it???????????

I have seen clusters go for less than a $100, so I guess if I have to replace it, it's not the end of the world. It's a 91 and if I remember it was either a light blue or green back. I'm pretty sure I have to swap out the coding plug from mine to the one I replace it with. Is there more to it than that. I have been trying to read up on it and getting conflicting info. Read somewhere about having to have it read and then taken to the dealer for programming.....not sure. Any danger of losing my odometer info forever??

athflying79
11-16-2005, 05:23 AM
Jaylebo

What kind of wheels are those...how much and where did you get them from??

I like them alot.

Bill R.
11-16-2005, 07:27 AM
resets on its own sometimes when you turn the car on thats another symptom. I would replace all the caps while have it out and then treat all the connectors on the back with some stabilant 22 and see if that cures it.

My two buttons coming out of the gauge cluster don't work. One is to reset the tripmeter and the other one...don't remember what all it does...think it clears error messages, etc. Anyway, the light behind the odometer went out, so I was going to replace the bulbs in the back and while I have the cluster out, I would like to fix the button problem as well. Don't think it has anything to do with capacitors, so looking for other suggestions. Thanks ahead of time.

Aaron

athflying79
11-16-2005, 08:19 AM
What do you mean by the caps??? The actual stalks that come through that you push?? Can you replace just those??

The tripmeter does not reset on it's own, so I don't think it's an electrical problem anywhere.

Bill R.
11-16-2005, 08:25 AM
number of them where the stalk won't work until after the capacitors are replaced. But what do i know anyway.

What do you mean by the caps??? The actual stalks that come through that you push?? Can you replace just those??

The tripmeter does not reset on it's own, so I don't think it's an electrical problem anywhere.

Jay 535i
11-16-2005, 09:34 AM
Jaylebo

What kind of wheels are those...how much and where did you get them from??

I like them alot.

Thank you. They are genuine BMW "Style 5" rims. I bought them used for CDN$1200.

Here's some: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=16070

I love them too :) Thanks for the compliment. Sad I now have to remove them for winter...