PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my car (caution: 1.5mb of pics)

Jay 535i
11-15-2005, 07:08 PM
Now that my car finally looks (and drives!) the way I want, I finally took some pics.

Here they are (now wishing I'd had the fogs on :():

http://www.moniqueandjay.com/bmw/2.jpg

http://www.moniqueandjay.com/bmw/3.jpg

http://www.moniqueandjay.com/bmw/4.jpg

Jay 535i
11-15-2005, 07:09 PM
http://www.moniqueandjay.com/bmw/5.jpg

http://www.moniqueandjay.com/bmw/6.jpg

http://www.moniqueandjay.com/bmw/7.jpg

http://www.moniqueandjay.com/bmw/8.jpg

Jay 535i
11-15-2005, 07:09 PM
http://www.moniqueandjay.com/bmw/9.jpg

http://www.moniqueandjay.com/bmw/10.jpg

uscharalph
11-15-2005, 07:15 PM
Nice Pictures!

gale
11-15-2005, 07:22 PM
Nice wheels! e39 Style 5's ?

Interceptor
11-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Now that my car finally looks (and drives!) the way I want, I finally took some pics.

Here they are (now wishing I'd had the fogs on :():
Looks great! Black always looked classy on these cars.

Just a few suggestions:
- euro (smiley) headlights
- euro bumper trim
- white front turn signals
- ShadowLine
- possibly an M-Tech II steering wheel

Jay 535i
11-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Thanks!

Yes, the rims are Style 5. Two are from an E39; two are from an E34 :)

@ Interceptor:

Bahnstormer's Angel Eyes are so f-ing cool, I'm saving up for those.

Euro trim is cool, but not important to me. Maybe next year.

White front turn signals are sittin' right next to me. Can't figure out how to install them!

Shadowline trim is an ongoing issue for me. I change my mind on the subject daily. I have the blackout tape, but haven't done it yet. I'm still on the fence about it.

IMHO, my steering wheel is way cool. I admired it since long before the car was mine. To each his own.

Thanks for the replies. Constructive criticism and suggestions along the lines of Interceptor's are appreciated.

Torque
11-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Beautiful vehicle.

I personally like the steering wheel; just get clear sidemarkers.

Jay 535i
11-15-2005, 08:08 PM
Beautiful vehicle.

Thank you.

I personally like the steering wheel; just get clear sidemarkers.

Which ones are the sidemarkers, exactly? The little ones on the bumper or the bigger one next to the headlight?

I notice you don't have 'em ;)

Jr ///M5
11-15-2005, 08:10 PM
The brightwork around the windows goes well with the 5's. Shadowline the brightwork and there's too much black. Euro-trim does a nice job of cleaning up the lines of the E34, it's inexpensive and easy to install. The clear turn signals are also easy to install, there are a couple of nuts that almost require you to stand on your head to reach and catch the bolt. Think of it as a character builder.
Your car looks good, very classy. Enjoy it!

Jr

Jay 535i
11-15-2005, 08:15 PM
The brightwork around the windows goes well with the 5's. Shadowline the brightwork and there's too much black. Euro-trim does a nice job of cleaning up the lines of the E34, it's inexpensive and easy to install. The clear turn signals are also easy to install, there are a couple of nuts that almost require you to stand on your head to reach and catch the bolt. Think of it as a character builder.
Your car looks good, very classy. Enjoy it!

Jr

Thanks! I agree with you about the Shadowline, I think -- too much black. That's why I had the windows un-tinted, in fact. It became just a big black blob. The brightwork adds some definition, I think. Still not 100% sure.

Here's a mockup of the car with Shadowline, and a pic without. Opinions are welcome!

http://www.moniqueandjay.com/bmw/11.jpg

http://www.moniqueandjay.com/bmw/12.jpg

Alexlind123
11-15-2005, 08:32 PM
Very nice car. I think i want to get a wing now...i have been thinking about it for awhile, probably too expensive for me tho. I will probably ask for a chip for my birthday instead :) A bit of advice, get a nice dark tint on those windows and maybe lower it a bit, looks great though. You arent form washington by any chance, are you?

EDIT: sorry i didnt read about you taking tint off...perhaps it was for the better. My car is a fairly light color, and i have always thought that tints go great with lights colors. I say leave the chrome.

Gayle
11-15-2005, 09:00 PM
It is a beautiful car. Black is the classiest color and style 5s are the classiest rims.

I agree with the need for clears--a continuation of your all classy look theme. Also think the shadowline would be too much. And agree with Alex that it needs to be a bit lower.

Thanks for sharing.

angrypancake
11-15-2005, 09:51 PM
It is a beautiful car. Black is the classiest color and style 5s are the classiest rims.

I agree with the need for clears--a continuation of your all classy look theme. Also think the shadowline would be too much. And agree with Alex that it needs to be a bit lower.

Thanks for sharing.

Ya know, it's all basically been said. But sometimes the only way I listen is if things are repeated to me about 18 thousand times. Black with style 5's = just gorgeous. I also think you were smart in de-tinting your windows. Shadowline would possibly be too much, the chrome around the windows draws the eye to the lines of the car. Lower it, definitely, and clears, definitely. Just don't get the ebay clears. And take more pictures. Oh, and what kind of wing is that? I too am now considering one. Again. Wait no I'm not. Yes I am... ****...

liquidtiger720
11-15-2005, 09:56 PM
those seats look like they are in A++++ condidtion!

Alexlind123
11-15-2005, 10:02 PM
I need to take a picture of mine now that i treated them with shoe oil grease stuff. No color, just moisturizer/protectant.

bahnstormer
11-15-2005, 10:06 PM
what are the sizes on teh wheels?

Jay 535i
11-15-2005, 10:22 PM
Wow, thanks for all that feedback. I'll try to address each of your posts.

Yeah, I too think Shadowline would be too much black. On other colors I think it looks great, but on a black car you need to break up the shape a bit or it just looks like a big black blob.

The wing is by Hella. Was on the car when I got it. The paint on it is peeling a bit, but you have to get close to see it. I wasn't sure about it at first, but I've decided I like it.

It's just got a new Sachs kit on it, about five days ago. I think the springs will settle a bit. Y'think?

I CANNOT get those clear corners on without, it seems, disassembling the front of the car. :( Any tips?

Yes, the windows used to be tinted to the legal limit. I thought that made for too much black. Now that I've been with the clears a while, I think I might go back to a very light tint. In the spring, probably.

The leather throughout the car is pretty good, yeah. Thanks for noticing :) I am curious about best practices for keeping it fresh and supple, though. It's not perfect, and hasn't had any attention in a while.

The wheels are 17". Sorry I don't know the width, but they are all the same except for two of them coming from an E39.

Thank you all for your gracious compliments, and keep the suggestions coming!

Randell
11-15-2005, 10:32 PM
very nice, the wheels are spot on for this model, understated but aggressive

and these are the first pictures where the wood interior trim hasn't made me go 'ugh'.. has my taste changed or is that not the standard wood trim? i recall it being almost bright-orange in color, which usually looks revolting in a black interior

Qube
11-15-2005, 10:37 PM
LOVE the wheels!

For some reason, the cleared rear lights look a little out of place on your car... not sure why :|

Incantation
11-16-2005, 05:06 AM
this is the best pic:

http://www.moniqueandjay.com/bmw/6.jpg

grave77
11-16-2005, 05:14 AM
everything is prefect, I only have 2 comments:

1- changet he stearing wheel to M5 type which many 5ers came with it.

2- use the while signal light on the front instead of the orange; since u have the white set on the tail.

Else ur car is excellantly clean and beatiful.

Edit: noticed that interceptor said what I wanted to say. :)

Jay 535i
11-16-2005, 09:39 AM
very nice, the wheels are spot on for this model, understated but aggressive

and these are the first pictures where the wood interior trim hasn't made me go 'ugh'.. has my taste changed or is that not the standard wood trim? i recall it being almost bright-orange in color, which usually looks revolting in a black interior

Thanks again, everyone for all the feedback.

I'm going to try again to get the clear front turn signals on. As I said, I have them, but haven't figured out the installation. I'm going to try again.

Randell, the wood trim is not original. In fact, it's not even wood, but it is very convincing. I have figured out that, to make the wood look nice, you must NOT use a flash when photographing it. The photos I posted are what it really looks like to the eye. When I tried with the flash, they looked terrible and orange, which isn't how they really look. In fact, I took all pics with flash and without, and the ones without flash were far more flattering and more like what it really looks like.

You'll also notice that I've opted to leave off the wood cover for the center console. I did think that was just "too much". I plan to replace the wood shift knob with a black leather-clad one when I get around to it.

Lastly, I really like my steering wheel, but if you think another would look better, please provide PICTURES of what you mean.

Oh, and, please answer if you know: will be car get any lower on it's own? The Sachs kit is less than a week old. I agree a little lower would be good. Will the springs settle some more? Any advice at all regarding the ride-height?

miliue
11-16-2005, 10:07 AM
The car looks fantastic. The wheels look fantastic. The trim looks fantastic. Extra bonus points for the leather looking fantastic as well.

For maintaining the leather, get some Leatherique from Autogeek.net. All you need is the oil and Prestine Clean. No need to sand and dye those seats. Just use the oil a couple of times a year, and use Prestine Clean for your weekly or bi-weekly cleaning needs. Leatherique will soften the leather and keep it looking factory fresh. I've found that Lexol doesn't work well on e34 leather. BMW used something on the e34 leather that is near impenetrable for anything other than Leatherique. You might as well be spraying the Lexol on vinyl for all the good it does.

I think you did the smart thing in removing the tint. The car looks amazing without it. And I agree about the shadowline, leave it off. The polished aluminum draws attention to the car's clean lines and accents the wheels well.

Jay 535i
11-16-2005, 10:11 AM
The car looks fantastic. The wheels look fantastic. The trim looks fantastic. Extra bonus points for the leather looking fantastic as well.

For maintaining the leather, get some Leatherique from Autogeek.net. All you need is the oil and Prestine Clean. No need to sand and dye those seats. Just use the oil a couple of times a year, and use Prestine Clean for your weekly or bi-weekly cleaning needs. Leatherique will soften the leather and keep it looking factory fresh. I've found that Lexol doesn't work well on e34 leather. BMW used something on the e34 leather that is near impenetrable for anything other than Leatherique. You might as well be spraying the Lexol on vinyl for all the good it does.

I think you did the smart thing in removing the tint. The car looks amazing without it. And I agree about the shadowline, leave it off. The polished aluminum draws attention to the car's clean lines and accents the wheels well.

Very kind and helpful comments. Thanks! Leatherique is on its way!

romeox929
11-16-2005, 12:05 PM
No need to "break down" the whole front end..there are only 3 screws holding each; 1 on the fender and two behind the headlights, just need a flashlight if you have trouble finding it.

I'll be the first to say shadowline, but that's coming from me whose car is 99% black. I know the black theme is not for everyone and I respect that because sometimes, I think I have trouble finding my car in dark parking lots :p The shadowline to me updates the car into a more sportier sense. I haven't updated the sig yet, but I have black hella tails/headlights now.. :D

Jay 535i
11-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Okay, thanks for the tips. I just gave the turn signals another try.

I couldn't do it.

I can feel all three screws, but I can only see one. For the two that I can't see, I can't even manage to guide the screwdriver into them because it's so crowded down there, and I'm working blind. The one that I can see is too tight for me to bust loose, given how tight things are in there. This is after loosening the washer fluid resevoir for a little more clearance.

I know how to do it. I just can't. Guess I'm a pussy. I can live with that. Somebody help me. :(

Lastly, do clear lenses exist for the small light on the bumper? Where do I get them? Or else I guess I could get Euro trim to delete them entirely? What are my options?

romeox929
11-16-2005, 01:05 PM
I personally used a skateboard short-handle screwdriver. It's only about 4-inches.

As for the clear lenses on the bumper, I bought those on ebay and ended up taking it off in a day or less because I realized I looked like an accord. The best alternative is the euro-trim you can purchase at abraham motorsports, which provides the clean look the way the US-model e34's should of came out of the factory.

romeox929
11-16-2005, 01:11 PM
http://www.abrahamsmotorsport.com/index-3.html

for the euro-trim

Jay 535i
11-16-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks.

I've tried everything with those lights. I guess I just don't have what it takes. I'll have to get someone else to help me.

632 Regal
11-16-2005, 01:36 PM
Bring it over, you have to work blind with them, i put it off for a while until I decided to just do it. I used a screwdriver that was magnetized and didnt lose the screw deal thing, assembly wasn't harder, I just fished my arm in there and went to work...blind again. It seems to be harder than it is, just do it!

Thanks.

I've tried everything with those lights. I guess I just don't have what it takes. I'll have to get someone else to help me.

grave77
11-16-2005, 02:51 PM
I love those blackies !! I sticked 50% tint on my old rear lights ... the car looked like a beast !! after the paint job is done for my car I would do the lights for sure .. !!

Jay 535i
11-16-2005, 04:22 PM
It seems to be harder than it is

That doesn't make sense!

I appreciate your encouragement, but I could not get the screw to budge. I tried. Hard. Can I spray something on it to loosen it up?

BTW, I'm a dork. I finally got 'round to taking the old suspension out of the trunk, and the car now sits about 1cm lower at the front and about that much higher in the rear. It looks more balanced, and the front tire clearance is now where I'd hoped it would be.

Do you now see how I'm too stupid to install those clear turn signals myself!? :p