PDA

View Full Version : catalytic converter is the culprit I think

RIPDOTCOM
11-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Well damn, I think i figured it out. I can shift fine manually so i don't think it is the tranny at all. I put my hand over the exhaust and had my buddy run it up to 3k and I have never felt hotter exhaust so quickly. I think the cat is clogged and/or bad. I am going to take a sawzall to it this afternoon. I assume that it is the 2 X resonator looking things right after the O2 sensor. Please confim so i dont take off the muffler system instead :)

632 Regal
11-15-2005, 11:22 AM
it's supposed to get hot fast!

Exact-Oh
11-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Yep, the converter(s) are immediately after the O2 sensor(s). An easier way to check for a plugged cat is to drill a hole before the cat, and install a pressure gauge or remove the O2 sensor and install gauge. You should not get more than 15-20 psi of pressure there. If it's more, you have a clog somewhere downstream... could be muffler though... I have seen that happen before too.

RIPDOTCOM
11-15-2005, 12:44 PM
Yep, the converter(s) are immediately after the O2 sensor(s). An easier way to check for a plugged cat is to drill a hole before the cat, and install a pressure gauge or remove the O2 sensor and install gauge. You should not get more than 15-20 psi of pressure there. If it's more, you have a clog somewhere downstream... could be muffler though... I have seen that happen before too.

Well damn, that wasnt is , now It sounds like i have a boeing jet in my front yard. I think i will just start a new thread regarding the lack of power.

Exact-Oh
11-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Did you check the pressure there? Simply removing the O2 and checking running will not work... even the hole that the O2 is in is too small for your engine to perform efficiently, and if the exhaust is clogged it will still run bad, even with the o2s out.

You should get an abnormally high amount of hissing through the open O2 hole though, even at idle... this suggests that this hole is the path of least resistance for the exhaust.

Bill R.
11-16-2005, 03:02 PM
20 and the usual test is to run it at 2500 rpm and the backpressure shouldn't be more than 1 and 1/2 psi If its over 2 psi then you definitely have a plugged/melted/broken cat...