PDA

View Full Version : Locked steering wheel - ignition lock failure?

Jim E
11-14-2005, 04:25 PM
My steering wheel is locked, and the key will only turn in the ignition switch a small amount. Just enough to turn on the 'Key in ignition' message in the check control display. Key will not turn far enough to start engine or enable any accessories to work. Steering wheel will unlock only if key is turned and held against the spring pressure of the ignition switch. Basically it's disabled, but luckily in happened in my driveway, and was able to have my daughter hold the key and turn the wheel while I pushed it into the garage.

Any ideas on this problem and fix? Is it likely the steering wheel lock mechanism, or the ignition switch? Do you think I have to remove steering wheel, and thus airbag, to fix this?

Thanks for any advice.

Jim E.
'89 535iM
Seattle

Dash01
11-14-2005, 05:14 PM
Check my posts and those of others on this topic: Probably it's caused by a sheared aluminum pin in the steering lock camshaft, which debris jammed the st. lock camshaft lobe, which slides in a groove inside the st. lock barrel. PM me your email address, and I'll send some pics of mine, which is a '90 535ia.

If you can turn the key at all, the trouble is prolly not your ign. lock, but internal jamming of the steering lock. (If it were the ign. lock itself, the key would not turn at all, since the internals act to prevent or permit
initial rotation of the key--if key rotates, then that tells me the ign. lock internals are OK.)

In any event, you need to turn the key at least 60 degrees so the release latch holes will line up for insertion of a paper clip or allen wrench. papercip is better. If she won't turn the 60 degrees, you cannot remove the ign. lock to get access to the steering lock innards. In that case, you'll need to remove the whole steering lock assy. from the car, whick entails disconnecting the battery, removing the airbag, steering wheel, plastic housing, and lower (knee) kick panel on the dasboard. READ AND HEED ALL CAUTIONARY NOTES ON DISCONNECTING AND HANDLING THE AIRBAG. READ THEM AGAIN. You can use a Dremel tool and ceramic disk to notch the shear bolt on top of the steering lock assy, and then unscrew/re-use it with a flat blade screwdriver. A mirror help alot with this procedure, which is akin to dental work.

BMA sells replacement parts, ~$58 for ign. lock already set for your old key; ~$110 as I recall for steering lock, etc.

If it's in fact the steering lock, replaement is not needed--rather clean out the debris and re-assemble. A disposable plastic dental mirror, Dremel tool, clean rag, graphite, heavy duty paper clip are required.

Like mine, your car quit in a good location. That's what they do if we're nice to them.

Maximabello
11-14-2005, 06:28 PM
Hi Jim-

Just got of the phone with Rob! I had the same thing happen a while back. I just kept messing with the wheel and key until it finally turned. Then removed the cylinder, everything seemed ok and reassembled. No problems since.

Good info above.
These may help too:
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14914&highlight=ignition+cylinder
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14076&highlight=ignition+cylinder

Erik
Renton WA

romus
11-14-2005, 06:57 PM
yes. I have had same problem, also in my drive way a few weeks ago. If i understand you right, u can only turn the key to position 1?

Your problem is probably the steering wheel locking pin cannot be disengaged all the way (go back up into the assembly the way it should) - cause on mine was a little spring falling out and preventing the pin to go back up, thus preventing my key to go past position 1.

You will have to take steering wheel off, and everything off the steering column. Strip all indicator switches and all off the assembly, so its bare. Don't make the same mistake as i by figuring out how to take assembly off the steering extension column because:

1) procedure is long and tedious as the head of the screw at the back of the assembly is broken off and u have to drill the screw out. Dealer sells u the new screw for AU$ 25.

2) Much easier to reach deeper down the steering wheel column (still in the cabin) and remove the column on the rubber cappling. I don't know where you are, but in aussie land i got a good assembly + that part of column (already attached) for 150 (second hand of course).

It is a little tricky to work down there in the footwell but it's not bad. Now, as you will be, i'm left with two keys. One (old) that unlocks the car and the new that starts it.

Good luck, and tell me if you need more detailed info. When i get home i can post you some photos as well.

Cheers

romus
11-14-2005, 06:58 PM
so happened to me, one week before it completely locked, it was tricky and took a few forced tries for it to go thru...my advise is change it because it could happen anywhere