PDA

View Full Version : 535iM - 1991 - parking light message

Thanos
11-14-2005, 02:20 AM
Dear All,

I get a 'parking lights' bleep and message on the dash whenever I turn on the headlights. Along with the message, the headlights AND the little sided parking lights come on. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance, Thanos

Paul in NZ
11-14-2005, 02:44 AM
you dont tell us where you are..the lighting is different on different versions of these cars

mattyb
11-14-2005, 07:00 AM
yeh. good point paul. hey thanos it helps if u fill in your profile at least a little bit. paul is so right there are so any variations on the lighting systems on these cars. where u are makes all the difference.

mjradin
11-14-2005, 08:23 AM
I had that problem for a while. Turns out one of the corner marker bulbs as loose. Check for loose connections at the corners - leave the turn signals for as it may be only the running lights.

Gayle
11-14-2005, 08:32 AM
Ok--first off I am not sure I understand the concern expressed in the original post. If this is stupid, just chalk it up to another instance of engage the brain before applying coffee.

Is your concern the error message? And I am assuming the lights work so you don't understand why you are getting the error message?

Or is it you don't think the parking lights should come on with the headlights.

If it is the second, you can stop reading now. I know nothing.

If it is the first--the sensors in these cars go bad all the time. Mine currently gives an intermittant error message on my brake light circuit. I am just ignoring it for now. When I owned the 325ic, I had several bad sensors repaced and it was not cheap--but it was at the dealership--but it seemed like the part was $75-95.

I think I have read on this forum about re-soldering them. Did you do a search? I am sure that sooner or later someone who actually knows something will chime in.

mikell
11-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Could be an intermittent contact. Try cleaning all of the connectors and sockets with contact cleaner, and make sure none of the wires are frayed, etc.

mikell
11-14-2005, 09:19 AM
Gayle - on that brake light circuit warning - have you thought about the brake light switch? Mine was the same way - intermittent - for quite awhile until I got off my lazy ass and replaced the switch - now it's all good all the time. I think the part's about $15. and the install took maybe 20 min, with r&r of the trim.

Thanos
03-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Sorry to have forgot about this thread.
What happens is that when I put on the headlights, I get the "parking light" message on the dash. The headlights are on, but the yellow corner light on the right is not on (but is fine on the left). It looks like the same light as the turn indicator light, and this works fine if I it is engaged for a right turn.

Thanks again, and sorry for huge pause in clarification.

Thanos

BillionPa
03-29-2006, 10:09 PM
the turn signal bulb has 2 filiments, one is burned.

replace it.

angrypancake
03-29-2006, 10:15 PM
have you replaced the corner bulbs recently? if thats the case you could have put in the wrong kind of bulb.

Thanos
03-29-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks!
Will look at it.

Paul in NZ
03-30-2006, 03:31 AM
while your t it buy a pair and replace em both.If the bulbs are different it can cause a error message too.
You still havent told us where you are at......

BASEBALL248
03-30-2006, 08:44 AM
the turn signal bulb has 2 filiments, one is burned.

replace it.

2nd this answer.

Thanos
03-30-2006, 10:59 AM
New York City. Sorry.