PDA

View Full Version : Using ballast to improve snow traction

Jay 535i
11-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Does adding some ballast to the rear of the car (e.g. a cinderblock or two in the trunk) help snow traction?

632 Regal
11-13-2005, 04:47 PM
yes for taking off but there is some draw backs. with more weight in the rear your upsetting the 50/50 balance and could cause the rear to slide sideways easier on turns. With good snows you should be good to go, concider ameraican old rear wheel drive cars were more along the lines of 70/30 with the brunt of the weight in the front. I was vary vary impressed in the snow with the bimmer compared to the other stuff I was used to.

Tiger
11-13-2005, 04:54 PM
Get Snow tires and you don't need any stinking ballast.

Gooch
11-13-2005, 08:05 PM
I have snows and found that a full tank of gas before a snow storm helps tremendously. I also put an 50 pound bag of top soil from home depot in the trunk. In the spring it goes on the lawn.

Paul in NZ
11-14-2005, 02:28 AM
and if you have ballast dont forget there is more weight to stop..so the traction problem is reversed......

Claude
11-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Get Snow tires and you don't need any stinking ballast.

I live in the snow / ice / slush (eastern prov. Québec / Canada) from december until april and i agree with Tiger good snow tires are enough.

Compare to rigid rear end of 1970-1980 american cars, the independant suspension of the BMW is a +, if you have lock differential it's an other +, but good snow tire (not all season one's) make a great difference the adherence of the snow tire is much better in near 0 deg C (32F) and in the -10C to -15C (18C to -5F). Keeping the fuel tank above half most of the time also help particulary in new deep snow. Keep traction aid in the trunk... in case !

Blizziak (from Bridgestone) and NOKIAN are excellent snow tire i use the later one.

Claude

632 Regal
11-15-2005, 04:24 PM
I have the Semperit sports and was very impressed with them for all around use...they have more aggressive treads for dedicated snows but here in Michigan its always hit and miss.