PDA

View Full Version : so..

misfortune
11-12-2005, 12:43 PM
It looks like I'll be driving a black/tan 535iM pretty soon instead of my 89 525iA. HARRRR
I don't know how to drive a standard lol. Its gonna be a fun week.

Interceptor
11-12-2005, 12:48 PM
It looks like I'll be driving a black/tan 535iM pretty soon instead of my 89 525iA. HARRRR
Be sure to press the clutch before shifting speeds, and be sure to shift up before you reach the maximum rpm, and you should be fine. Release the clutch slowly, or else the drive will be jerky :) Of course, let off the throttle while you're shifting. :) Like with all things, practice makes perfect.

Good luck and enjoy.

Gayle
11-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Every clutch has its own personality. Some are tight and finicky and if you don't let it out smoothly and with sufficient gas, it stalls. Others are loose and forgiving. Your initial finesse is no reflection on you. It is all a matter of practice and learning the car.

One practical thing is you might want to plan your routes so that you don't have to start from a dead stop on a hill in traffic. If you don't give it enough gas, it will stall and you will roll backwards. People are not accustomed to there being that many manual transmissions on the road so people don't leave room between cars. If you have someone right up your arse in that situation it is stressful. In that situation, it is better to give it too much gas and have the engine roar and look like a fool than to not give it enough and stall and roll back into someone.

Once you get the hang of it, you will never want to go back.

632 Regal
11-12-2005, 01:49 PM
hehehe

Some are tight and finicky, Others are loose and forgiving.

Gayle
11-12-2005, 01:56 PM
hehehe

So whats your point?

Ladykats
11-12-2005, 01:57 PM
My 318 is stick. If I want to have a little fun, that is the car I drive. That is if I can get it away from my son.

Interceptor
11-12-2005, 02:02 PM
So whats your point?
Maybe his is loose :)

Interceptor
11-12-2005, 02:04 PM
My 318 is stick. If I want to have a little fun, that is the car I drive. That is if I can get it away from my son. [Jeff mode: ON]
A lady who wants to have a little fun with the stick... hehehe
[Jeff mode: OFF]

:)

Gayle
11-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Maybe his is loose :)

There is no maybe in that.

Gayle
11-12-2005, 02:06 PM
[Jeff mode: ON]
A lady who wants to have a little fun with the stick... hehehe
[Jeff mode: OFF]

:)

Interceptor--please be nice to LadyKats. She is new here. Don't scare her off. I need reinforcements.

Interceptor
11-12-2005, 02:10 PM
There is no maybe in that.
How do you know that? Have you checked it personally? :)

SharkmanBMW
11-12-2005, 02:11 PM
hehehe

dirty boy!!!

Interceptor
11-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Interceptor--please be nice to LadyKats. She is new here. Don't scare her off. I need reinforcements.
OK, OK, I apologize for being a Jeff... :)

misfortune
11-12-2005, 02:43 PM
OK, OK, I apologize for being a Jeff... :)
no crazy small talk in my thread. Only serious replys PLS!!!

No, thanks for the advice. This should be a fun experience.

EDIT: that comma makes a big difference :)

632 Regal
11-12-2005, 02:56 PM
some A-hole hijacked your thread.

No thanks for the advice. This should be a fun experience.

Gayle
11-12-2005, 03:06 PM

No thanks for the advice. This should be a fun experience.

You might want to lighten up. Two of the three thread high jackers are the ones who seriously tried to help you at first. Get pissy and people won't want to help you. High jacked threads usually get back to the topic eventually. Having a lot of posts to your thread make people who would not look at it otherwise check it out to see whats up and increases you chances of getting useful responses. Especially when the thread has such a clear and compelling call for help in the thread title as this one does. Just a thought.

So what kind of responses are you looking for at this point? What else can people tell you that would be helpful?

Addendum: Jeff who you calling an A-hole. I am the only one allowed to call you that.

TheDuke
11-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Misfortune you might want to practice on a different car before you get into a stick BMW.

Gayle
11-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Misfortune you might want to practice on a different car before you get into a stick BMW.

Why do you say that?

misfortune
11-12-2005, 04:18 PM
You might want to lighten up. Two of the three thread high jackers are the ones who seriously tried to help you at first. Get pissy and people won't want to help you. High jacked threads usually get back to the topic eventually. Having a lot of posts to your thread make people who would not look at it otherwise check it out to see whats up and increases you chances of getting useful responses. Especially when the thread has such a clear and compelling call for help in the thread title as this one does. Just a thought.

So what kind of responses are you looking for at this point? What else can people tell you that would be helpful?

Addendum: Jeff who you calling an A-hole. I am the only one allowed to call you that.

http://www.internet.com/sarcasm.jpg

I was saying thanks. I guess I should have been more direct.
ANd yeah. I should practice. Who is gonna give their car up for a newb to practice on though? I understand the theory of it, and I've driven a car with a MT before, but yeah.

Gayle
11-12-2005, 04:28 PM
http://www.internet.com/sarcasm.jpg

I was saying thanks. I guess I should have been more direct.
ANd yeah. I should practice. Who is gonna give their car up for a newb to practice on though? I understand the theory of it, and I've driven a car with a MT before, but yeah.

The link doesn't work :(

And I asked why practice on a different car cause I don't see that BMW clutches are any more difficult than any other brand. I have owned 8 manual transmissions. Our 90 525 was one of the most forgiving and our 90 325 was one of the most difficult. It is all a matter of developing a touch for the individual car. It will come quick.

632 Regal
11-12-2005, 04:38 PM
so he dont break it?

Why do you say that?

Gayle
11-12-2005, 04:44 PM
so he dont break it?

You really think BMW clutches are that fragile? (she says incredulously)

McWatters
11-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Ya honestly people , everyone knows that German Sticks are really durable, and long lasting.

cheers

J.McWatters

winfred
11-12-2005, 09:26 PM
hehehe

if you don't let it out smoothly and with sufficient gas, it stalls right up your arse in that situation it is stressful.

Gayle
11-12-2005, 09:48 PM
hehehe

guess I left out the words "with a car" right up your arse

winfred
11-12-2005, 09:57 PM
resistance is futile the dirty male mind will find a way :D

guess I left out the words "with a car" right up your arse

Gayle
11-12-2005, 10:00 PM
resistance is futile the dirty male mind will find a way :D

LOL Yeah there has been a lot of that around here today.

winfred
11-12-2005, 10:11 PM
i can't speak for everybody else but i am usually being good, you don't wanna see bad

LOL Yeah there has been a lot of that around here today.

BM-BOY
11-13-2005, 08:09 AM
I have a 535iM, I have driven manual cars all my driving live, and I'd say the clutch on my car is definitely one of the most forgiving. Not forgetting that with all that torque, it doesn't require much gas to pull away... But give it some gas, and let the clutch out quickly, and its a LOT of fun!!:D

Gayle
11-13-2005, 09:31 AM
i can't speak for everybody else but i am usually being good, you don't wanna see bad

Well, I am not usually offended by bad so don't hold back on my account.

bahnstormer
11-13-2005, 10:17 AM
after u learn well enuff, i suggest installing a clutch stop
it makes a world of difference

also a ssk kit if u have the money for one

Gayle
11-13-2005, 10:34 AM
I think he is only going to be driving this car for a week....

but what is a clutch stop?

and what is an ssk kit?

kyleN20
11-13-2005, 05:34 PM
clutch stop, and correct me if im wrong, is just a little block so to speak, that goes under your clutch pedal, and stops you from going past a point of "unescessoryness" when pushing the pedel in, its supposed to improve shift times, ans ssk is a Short Shift Kit

misfortune
04-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Well here it is, almost 5 months later. I got the car in early january and I picked it up in around a week. I was careful, even when I was a rookie to not do anything too damaging to the clutch. Good experience, glad I did it this way.