PDA

View Full Version : Audi/VW power steering fluid?

Jon K
11-12-2005, 12:19 AM
So I had a 50% successful night. I got the new exhaust hangers on my sisters car so it was (in her words, literally) "Less ghetto-fab". Fixed the muffler hanging like 10" from the car haha. However, I noticed a slight squeal in her steering. Especially at idle. Gosh, she's lucky i'm her brother and maintain this thing for her. Anyway, being that i work on primarily vw/audi/porsche, I had surplus VW/Audi powersteering fluid laying around. The BMW cap said "CH11 only" or some crap. However, VW is green, Audi is green, and her BMW is green. Mine is the red Dexron Mercon III ATF, so I figured what the ****, put it in. Not to my surprise the groan went away and steering was MUCH, MUCH lighter feeling. I need to flush the system eventually, seems to be dirty. Anyway, is this ok for the pump? The VW bottles don't list the fluid, only the VW proprietary part #. I THINK its the same, I can't remember. Any ideas?

tibbe
11-12-2005, 10:44 AM
Hi.

Asked arround for my Audi 200/5000CS and the LHM hydraulic oil was the advise I got from many garages. Even got it my bimmer R100RS(4V) and K1100LT forks.

Thinking of changing the steering / rear suspension oil of my E34 520IAT to LHM as what I got in there seems a bit stiff as we had -15C( appr 5F ) last week.

/ tibbe Lulea Sweden.

Qsilver7
11-12-2005, 06:13 PM
So...I had surplus VW/Audi powersteering fluid laying around. The BMW cap said "CH11 only" or some crap. However, VW is green, Audi is green, and her BMW is green. Mine is the red Dexron Mercon III ATF, so I figured what the ****, put it in. ...The VW bottles don't list the fluid, only the VW proprietary part #. I THINK its the same, I can't remember. Any ideas?
The CHF 11 S is synthetic Pentosin Hydraulic fluid. Pentosin CHF 11 S and Pentosin CHF 7.1 are not compatible (both are green)...BMWs that use 7.1 can be drained and CHF 11 S substituted...but the reverse isn't true.

Here's a link to a Pentosin web site...if you scroll down to "technical data"...you will see some info listed for VW in the Pentosin CHF 11 S box...hopefully it will make sense to you: http://www.pentosin.de/eng/products/chf/body_hydraulic.html#LHMPlus

BTW...when I first read your post...I thought you meant you put red ATF fluid in your sisters CHF 11 S system! OMG

Shankster
11-12-2005, 07:12 PM
So I had a 50% successful night. I got the new exhaust hangers on my sisters car so it was (in her words, literally) "Less ghetto-fab". Fixed the muffler hanging like 10" from the car haha. However, I noticed a slight squeal in her steering. Especially at idle. Gosh, she's lucky i'm her brother and maintain this thing for her. Anyway, being that i work on primarily vw/audi/porsche, I had surplus VW/Audi powersteering fluid laying around. The BMW cap said "CH11 only" or some crap. However, VW is green, Audi is green, and her BMW is green. Mine is the red Dexron Mercon III ATF, so I figured what the ****, put it in. Not to my surprise the groan went away and steering was MUCH, MUCH lighter feeling. I need to flush the system eventually, seems to be dirty. Anyway, is this ok for the pump? The VW bottles don't list the fluid, only the VW proprietary part #. I THINK its the same, I can't remember. Any ideas?

If it's the $25 a bottle stuff G0020 or some such, that is CHF 11S rebranded. I had to have a coworker drive me 20 miles to the VW dealership to pick up a bottle for top up.

Gayle
11-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Gosh, she's lucky i'm her brother and maintain this thing for her.

Yes she is lucky. Ask your parents if they would like to adopt me. And if your sister starts taking you for granted, tell her there is someone who would love to take her place. :)