PDA

View Full Version : Tires...again

gordon
03-06-2004, 01:44 PM
Well, took my car in to have its emmissions test and the guy called me and said "nope, can't do it...tires are too worn". I knew they were wearing and needed replacement, but there was still tread above the wear marks. He said that he could put his four fingers between the tread and the core on the rears.....(gulp). They were Kuhmo 712s... those with them might check the next time the car is on a hoist.
Ordered a set of 4 - Dunlop SP Sport FM901's (only tell me good things if you already own them...don't tell me how bad they are...please).

http://vaxxine.com/gblawson/vcs03.jpg

Paul in NZ
03-06-2004, 06:57 PM
the insides ....very hard to see normally.They were 255/40/17s maybe they rubbed????

632 Regal
03-06-2004, 08:09 PM
dont you just hate when you go for emissions and the tell you that
you need tires to pass emissions??? I dont get it.

gordon
03-06-2004, 09:00 PM
I will take a photo of them next week when i have the new ones installed... am just going by what he said about putting fingers between the tread and core.....

gordon
03-06-2004, 09:01 PM
Checked tirerack.com and some users mentioned noise... hope they are not too noisy... the last Dunlops i had on my basketweaves were really noisy... damn....
Anyone have them?

jplacson
03-06-2004, 09:04 PM
How come I've noticed a lot of people don't favor Dunlops? I've noticed a lot of people favor Continentals and Michelins over Dunlops.

jplacson
03-06-2004, 09:17 PM
The tires that came on my car are still relatively new, they're Dunlop Le Mans 702...supposedly at par with the SP9000 but non directional, and they are built for "low noise". I'm eyeing the new Michelin Precedas. Any Asian/Aussie users have any experience with these tires? Any opinions?

Regarding wear, my fronts have a bit more wear on the inner shoulder than the rest of the tire. My rears seem to be wearing evenly. Running 225/45/18 (yes, I know it's a weird size, they came with the car)

jplacson
03-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Just curious, do tires affect the level of bump steer experienced? Are Dunlops known for more bump steer as well?

BigD
03-07-2004, 12:16 AM
Me neither... Do you mean safety? I had my emissions done on the 535 with Bobby's Michelins which only had an outline of a tread left (ie the wear bars were flush with the tire...).

dont you just hate when you go for emissions and the tell you that
you need tires to pass emissions??? I dont get it.

Jon K
03-07-2004, 11:15 AM
Right now I have a set of Dunlop sports on front. I just replaced my tires due to inspection also, with Yokohama AVS db2. Some of my overall car shimmy has gone away. I can't wait to get the AVS on the front of the car and to see if that alleviates my vibrations.

jplacson
03-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Ok, disregard my previous post... been reading up on tires, etc... I didn't mean 'bump steer' ... my car tramlines (learn a new term everyday!) a LOT... since this is my first car with 8.5" rims, and 45 series tires... I was never used to this kind of tramlining (Philippine roads aren't exactly 'roads') Plus the fact that my suspension was shot (according to BMW's Inspection II report) ... hopefully at least 50% of my tramlining should go away after my suspension work is done...maybe then I won't blame my Dunlop LM702s so much. hehehe