PDA

View Full Version : CAr Care: what polish and wax do you use?

alr
11-11-2005, 07:08 PM
I recently decided to polish and wax the car. I had used 3M cleaner wax but decided I needed something ore to get rid of some watermarks and crud on the finish. What have you used that has given you the best results?
Alr

632 Regal
11-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Endust in dusty areas of the country

uscharalph
11-11-2005, 07:41 PM
I recently decided to polish and wax the car. I had used 3M cleaner wax but decided I needed something ore to get rid of some watermarks and crud on the finish. What have you used that has given you the best results?
Alr
Clay Bar.

liquidtiger720
11-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Hehe, I just detailed my car today.

I use the ssr line by poorboys www.poorboysworld.com

I have a whole bunch of stuff really...from 3m finesse, to klasse.

Wax, I use pinnicle, poorboys, s100, klasse sg., whatever i feel like using.

Paul in NZ
11-11-2005, 08:08 PM
mothers 3 step,but i use the bmw waxits cool to have the three little bmw bottles in my boot box....wax,leather condtioner,and some other stuff.....

Phatty5BMW
11-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Meguires cleaner wax does AMAZING results, atleast in my case, its 6 bucks a bottle and worth every penny. My bimmer is red, and my roof was faded pink...... i used that **** and looks like a brand new paintjob, ive tried alot of waxes and i cant belive this ****!!!! My .02

Pat

Cambridge
11-11-2005, 10:00 PM
Zymöl works well.

Alexlind123
11-11-2005, 11:37 PM
I used meguiars liquid wax, along with mequiars quick spray wax once to refresh it once. It seems to hold up alright and it creates a nice shiny surface. Im thinking about clay barring it though, with my hand in a plastic bag, i can feel some "unsmoothness." This endust though, i would like to hear more. I live on a driveway which is dusty in the summer.

Shankster
11-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Clay Magic, Menzerna Intensive, Menzerna Final, Menzerna Glaze and FMJ sealant. Topped off with S100 wax. I spend more time cleaning and goofing around with the pumpkymobile than actually driving it.

Next spring, will try the Menzerna/Klasse twins combo.

Gayle
11-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Spent a week reading roadfly detailing page and autopia before going on the $300 detailing supply binge. (We had 4 cars at the time all with very different paint conditions and needs). Read those sites at your own risk. They make you want everything.

Roadfly detailing page (http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/de...=1443882&page=1)

Autopia detailing page (http://www.guidetodetailing.com/art...hp?articleId=61)

The two things I bought that most impressed me were the clay bar and the porter cable. I used the Mothers brand kit for the clay bar. The detailing spray that comes with it smells like dentine gum and it makes the whole experience a pleasant zen-like thing. The clay bar selectively pulls the pollution out of the paint and makes it showroom smooth again. You can really tell the difference on the hood, trunk, and roof where the pollution settles but not on the sides of the car. I didn't find clay bar to be too great at removing oxidation. I needed a polishing product to do that. I rather liked the P21s Paintwork Cleaner for removing oxidation by hand. The Klasse All in One was good with the Porter Cable but harder to use by hand.

Other detailing tips: A chenille washing mitt increases zen factor. And I highly recommend the two bucket technique. After trying I, I asked myself why I hadn't been doing this for years. And rubbing compound is my all time favorite auto detailing product (preferrable extra fine) but you have to be really really careful with it.

The real winner is the Porter Cable. The results are amazing.

Porter Cable Info and Review 1 (http://www.guidetodetailing.com/art...hp?articleId=47)

Porter Cable Info and Review 2 (http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/de.../3579628-1.html)

540Dave
11-12-2005, 04:06 PM
Alr

I just washed mine down with a soap/wax blend called Zep. My neighbor brought it over so I tried it out. Very sudsy. Water sheeted off and it dried up looking good with a clear shiny finish. I just wiped it down after and no buffing was required. Unless something happens in the next few days such as some wierd dulling of the finish I'll be buying it and continuing to use it.

digitaldragon03
11-12-2005, 06:52 PM
When i first got the car, i bought the Mothers 3 step system. I did step one. Then i used the Mothers Clay Bar, the spray stuff smells really good, like cinnamon. Then finished it off with the finals two steps. The thing was smooth. Every 2 or 3 months i just do the final two steps for a good shine.