PDA

View Full Version : Tyre wear question

Marshy
03-06-2004, 12:53 PM
I've got a bad tyre wear issue with my 540i - the outside edges of the front tyres have worn most of the way through the tread. The rest of each tyre still has about 4mm left. This is over the course of about 10000 miles of mostly motorway driving.

So, it's clear that there must be some alignment issue here, and I'd like to know what the concensus is so that I don't get the wool pulled over my eyes when I take it to a dealer or mechanic to get it sorted.

Thanks in advance...

--Chris

632 Regal
03-06-2004, 01:17 PM
these cars do tend to wear the outer front tires and the inner rear tires. At only 10,000 miles I would say you have alignment issues and should get them taken care of and then maybe rotate the front to rear and make sure the wear is better before purchasing new shoes.

Marshy
03-06-2004, 02:19 PM
Thanks for that. Rotation isn't an answer, unfortunately, as the front tyres are approaching the legal limit on how much wear can exist across the width of the tyre.

I get the impression this sort of thing can be caused by tightening up the thrust arms without the suspension loaded correcly first. Is my supposition correct?

I'm in for a wallet-bashing next weekend, I fear, whatever happens...