PDA

View Full Version : Burning electrical smell

IN10CT
11-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Ok, I have a burning electrical smell coming from the engine compartment of my 1989 535 (e34).

It seems to be concentrated around a module right above the brake master cylinder. This module also seems to be getting pretty hot. This is the same module/part that has the remote positive battery terminal attached to it.

Can you guys give me some idea about what is going on and where to start troubleshooting?

cheers

1989 535 (e34)
243,000km
5speed manual

Badkrma
11-11-2005, 11:19 AM
First thing I would do is make sure you have fire coverage on your insurance policy.

Check the voltage going into that module and also that is coming out of the alternator. Good luck. and carry a fire extinguisher.

Stephen

632 Regal
11-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Ditto on the fire extinguisher.

tnt525i
11-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Ok, I have a burning electrical smell coming from the engine compartment of my 1989 535 (e34).

It seems to be concentrated around a module right above the brake master cylinder. This module also seems to be getting pretty hot. This is the same module/part that has the remote positive battery terminal attached to it.

Can you guys give me some idea about what is going on and where to start troubleshooting?

cheers

1989 535 (e34)
243,000km
5speed manual
chances are the voltage is having some resistance at that point, this is why you are having that smell, i would recommend you disconnect the positive battery lead and disassemble the module and clean the contact points, they are probably corroded

IN10CT
11-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Ok, fire extinguisher in hand.... What is this thing?

Bill R.
11-12-2005, 05:12 PM
smell is either coming from them indicating that they are toasted or from below them , where the auxilliary water pump is , an electric motor driven water pump that circulates hot water through the heater core... either one could be burning up...Disconnect the terminals if it looks like its going to flame out.

Ok, fire extinguisher in hand.... What is this thing?

zhandax
02-09-2006, 04:39 AM
I was driving back from Atlanta to Nashville tonight and stopped on the Nashville side of Chattanooga to get a coke. I had noticed my heater did not seem to be putting out much heat, and when I stopped I noticed a smell. It smelled a little like electrical smoke but had a sweetish characteristic to it. I checked to make sure a cigarette spark had not come back in the window into the back seat, and when I did not find anything burning, decided it was antifreeze. Especially after the heater almost totally stopped working except for when I put the dial all the way over and past the detent. When I got home and shut off the engine, I heard a gurgling in the dash which I have heard several times, and after checking here and finding these things are not easy to bleed, decided it needed a bleed.

Then I found this thread. I will bleed the system my next day off (Friday). Is there anything I need to check to make sure I do not have a short in either the heater valve or the aux pump? I really wonder what the smell was? Is there any connection between needing bleeding and burning out one of these components? I smelled this indside the car. The PO had the thermostat, housing, and a few hoses replaced about a year ago at the dealership.

granit_silber
02-09-2006, 12:16 PM
I smelled this indside the car.

Heater core?
-ashley

zhandax
02-09-2006, 02:24 PM
It went away when I got back on the freeway. If it was the heater core, that should not happen?

zhandax
02-10-2006, 04:07 AM
Here is the kicker. Both going to work today and coming home tonight, I had heat. Now I am really concerned about the smell. Will visual inspection reveal any potential problems? I will also check the voltage going to the valve.

If it was the aux pump starting to burn due to air in the heater core, does this pose the same potential fire hazard?