PDA

View Full Version : what in the HELL was that??

romus
11-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Guys...just then i drove to work and i hear a 2 seconds long *beeep* followed by three 0.5sec *beeps*...coming from the cluster...no warning light came on. I know what a gong is, but this i NEVER heard in the car before! Has anyone else?? What is it?

SharkmanBMW
11-10-2005, 03:18 PM
temperature warning just above freezing???

romus
11-10-2005, 03:23 PM
23 degrees C outside already :)

Thanks for the thought anyway

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
11-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Guys...just then i drove to work and i hear a 2 seconds long *beeep* followed by three 0.5sec *beeps*...coming from the cluster...no warning light came on. I know what a gong is, but this i NEVER heard in the car before! Has anyone else?? What is it?

Do you have the factory tape deck? Could be the reminder to clean the heads.

pyro
11-10-2005, 03:43 PM
are you kidding? it reminds you to clean the head??!?!

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
11-10-2005, 03:47 PM
are you kidding? it reminds you to clean the head??!?!

Beeps every 20 (IIRC) hours and says "clean" on the deck display. At least my E30's did.

romus
11-10-2005, 04:19 PM
i do have the factory tape deck yes, but since i disconnected the battery few weeks back i haven't had the code so since it's not really working, don't think it's that either.

Man i wanna know what this is.

liquidtiger720
11-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Beeps every 20 (IIRC) hours and says "clean" on the deck display. At least my E30's did.

yea, the e34 does it.

Gayle
11-10-2005, 09:57 PM
The on board computer has a timer function that can get accidentally set when you are doing something else. When we had our 525 and my husband was driving it, it accidentally got set for 3:03 pm and would go off daily at that time. Scared me every single time that I was in the car at 3:03. We were both too lazy to figure out how to fix so it stayed that way for months. In our case, this was a 24 hour repetative thing but looking at the manual, it says it can be set for up to 88 hours.

I am not really expecting it to be the timer, but it is worth mentioning for the off chance that it is.

Strap
11-11-2005, 02:25 AM
i do have the factory tape deck yes, but since i disconnected the battery few weeks back i haven't had the code so since it's not really working, don't think it's that either.

Man i wanna know what this is.

That beep might be the reminder for entering the radio code,, every 15 hrs of use after a batery change . the code ( if you didnt change it should be the last 4 of the vin ) . only on some radios the blua/pioneer vers have if but not the alpine.
hope that helps

Nick.Hay
11-11-2005, 03:08 AM
Sure it wasn't the 'just before the hour' gong??

romus
11-11-2005, 07:20 AM
You're right! I drove back home earlier and same sound went off only without the first long beep, this time at 4pm...i looked and noticed like a little +)) icon in the corner of the OBC display and realised it must be an hourly signal...i have no idea how i got to that, like u said, must have been accidental.

i wanna thank everyone for opinions :) i hate when things like this happen, its embarassing :) it's good it's harmless tho :)

Jose
11-11-2005, 07:25 AM
Your car anounced it's meltdown secuence.

Qsilver7
11-11-2005, 07:40 AM
You're right...i looked and noticed like a little +)) icon in the corner of the OBC display...i have no idea how i got to that...
Glad you figured it out...but its easy to figure out how it happened. :D The only way to set the "hour memo" is to press the S/R button when the HOUR button is selected and illuminated in the OBC's display. (very simple indeed) ;)

Okay...so everyone remember...when you hear 3 distinctive PIPS just before the hour...check your OBC to see if the hour memo icon is illuminated. :D

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/feaqs/original/E34%20OBC%20Hour%20Memo%20symbol.jpg

Gayle
11-11-2005, 08:05 AM
You're right! I drove back home earlier and same sound went off only without the first long beep, this time at 4pm...i looked and noticed like a little +)) icon in the corner of the OBC display and realised it must be an hourly signal...i have no idea how i got to that, like u said, must have been accidental.

i wanna thank everyone for opinions :) i hate when things like this happen, its embarassing :) it's good it's harmless tho :)

Yahoo! The girl was right for once. This is a historic moment--the first time I have been able to diagnose a problem when the guys didn't :D I feel like I have earned my keep here for at least another month. Romeo--you made my day.

romus
11-12-2005, 04:22 AM
Yeh nick, tried to simplify the whole story, but in both cases it was a ...:59 thing.