PDA

View Full Version : OT, ipod nano question? I got my wife a nano to go along with

Bill R.
11-10-2005, 09:33 AM
the nikon for her birthday and i'm new to these things.. Is there any easy way to transfer mp3 music from my hard drive to the itunes library.. Its all albums in separate folders that i converted to mp3 a long time ago.. So far the only way i have been able to do it is to click on each album folder one at a time and drag it over to the itunes...Is there any way to do the whole group at once? Using the import command on itunes it won't recognize these files but dragging them over one folder at a time it does... Thanks ,
Also does anybody know who makes the best nano adapter to put it into the e46 keeping the steering wheel controls working?

Jon K
11-10-2005, 10:09 AM
the nikon for her birthday and i'm new to these things.. Is there any easy way to transfer mp3 music from my hard drive to the itunes library.. Its all albums in separate folders that i converted to mp3 a long time ago.. So far the only way i have been able to do it is to click on each album folder one at a time and drag it over to the itunes...Is there any way to do the whole group at once? Using the import command on itunes it won't recognize these files but dragging them over one folder at a time it does... Thanks ,
Also does anybody know who makes the best nano adapter to put it into the e46 keeping the steering wheel controls working?
Bill,

Sorry I can't be of much help but for what its worth iTunes is VERY buggy. I had the joy of setting it up for my sister and my girlfriend just recently. There's no easy drag-drop feature. That's why I went with a PC based media player. Careful with the Nano, there seems to be a recall on the scroll wheel "sinking" in. Good luck.

Jr ///M5
11-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Bill, I know that Crutchfield makes an adapter for an I-Pod for the E-39, 'cause that was what I was going to get for Lori. The trouble is, she would rather listen to books on CD....the I-Pod would plug into the connection in the trunk and work like the CD stacker.
I'm sure if they don't already have something that will work for the Nano, they will soon.

Jr ///M5
11-10-2005, 05:23 PM
BTW...good choice with the NIKON! Tell Yvonne Happy Birthday!!

garretb
11-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Hey Bill,

It's not that hard to set up iTunes to have all of your music in it. First off, if you have all of your albums under one overhead folder (such as C:\mp3 or something), you can set that to the iTunes folder (Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced tab), and if I remember correctly, it will set them all up within iTunes. If it doesn't do it automatically, it may be that you need to run the 'Consolidate Library...' option from the Advanced menu. If this fails to do what you want, you can bring them in multiple folders at a time by going to the 'File->Add folder to library...' option and holding CTRL down and clicking multiple folders or SHIFT to get a bunch of folders in a row. Hopefully this will help you out a bit.

-g

Qube
11-10-2005, 11:32 PM
Hopefully SharePod software will be updated so you can do away with installing ANY software altogether!

Incantation
11-11-2005, 04:02 AM
use ctrl+a to highlight every file in the folder, then drag em all in at once

emw525E34
11-11-2005, 06:15 AM
Bill,

The iPod can take MP3 format files, so there is no conversion needed. There are several ways to bring those files into the iTunes library. Drag and drop is one simple way.
You can Add File to library, are even Add Folder to library.

The ID tags may not be displayed right but you can edit them manually in the iTunes software.
If you double-click on an MP3 file and your default player is iTunes, it simple drags this file into the library. This is quick and easy.

If you have 2 PCs (one at work and one at home), it can sync in several ways. Music and/or Podcast complete replacement. You get to choose as it asks everytime. This is real neat. I cannot see myself using any other MP3 player after the iPod. It is almost "perfect" as a consumer device. Its just fantastic!.
Get a couple. I am going to get another Nano and the new iPod as well. Just loved Podcasts.

PS: It cannot read WMA WMV files. You might want conversion programs to change the format. I find MP3 and AAC are very nice formats I rip my CDs from. Best quality I settled on is 320K VBR. Enjoy the Nano.

Alan_525i
11-11-2005, 07:12 AM
Despite what my buddy Jon says, iTunes is not buggy. I run it on both my computers and have NEVER had a problem. If you are experiencing issues make sure that there are no lingering USB devices still "connected" in the Safely Remove Hardware icon on the lower right of your taskbar.

To get them in, just drag the folder on top of the itunes library window. It will add any playable media file. You can drag a large folder and iTunes will go through its heirarchy and add everything.

wingman
11-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Get thee to a mac. itunes and ipod instantly updated