PDA

View Full Version : OT: How much to machine the lip on 18" wheels? ie to remove curb rash and blemish

Deke NorCal
03-06-2004, 09:01 AM
Has anybody had their wheels re-machined to fix curb rash? How much should I expect to pay??

this is what the wheels look like:
http://www.dtmpower.net/ppost2/data/500/1011542dsc02141.jpg

KurtM
03-06-2004, 12:31 PM
site. They said roughly $225 to $250 and would take about 4 days.

Kurt
95 525ia

http://www.pacrims.com/services.html

Deke NorCal
03-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Thanks Kurt!
Glad i found that out now, I was thinking around 50$ a wheel sheesh

George M
03-06-2004, 01:24 PM
machining the lip which is done by too many wheel refinishers disparges the structure not to mention the aesthetics of the wheel/lip. When you have a clearcoated polished lip as with those Hamann's...you just upped the ante. To do it right, a good wheel refinisher will weld in new material, then turn the wheel lip down to original shape, polish and reclear the lip. With an opaque lip as with many BMW OE wheels for example, it is much easier to repair rash because you can use an aluminized epoxy to fill and then shoot base and clear over them...what I just did on a pair of BBS basketweaves.
Those are you options...you will pay $100 a wheel minimum to do it right and I would be sure to discuss with the refinisher your objective before you fork over your prize wheels letting him know you know the score on wheel refinishing.
A friend of mine had his coveted BBS 3-piece exposed lip wheels ruined by a refinisher simply chucking them in a lathe, turning and reshooting with clear.
Good Luck,
George

gordon
03-06-2004, 01:50 PM
Bruno has a place i called in Toronto who would redo my "bolted cross spoke #5's" for $150 a wheel (CANADIAN) and that included balancing them (not sure how they do that). That included repainting the centers, polishing and clear coating the rims and balancing.

Deke NorCal
03-07-2004, 03:47 AM
George: Ok the seller contacted me back and informed me that he can get the wheels refinished for 70$ a piece. What should I ask to clarify if this is the right procedure?? and Can you clear this up for me, there is two processes: 1) machine the wheels and polish (bad) 2) fill in the blemishes, turn the wheel till it is true, finish and machine it then clearcoat the wheel

Thanks in advance,
Deke

joshuagore
03-07-2004, 05:06 AM
Straight up machining the forged wheel will leave bad results pitting ect.. so I almost garuntee they are adding material befor they remove any.

George M
03-07-2004, 08:00 PM
not so Josh...straight up machining a forged wheel generally will not leaving pitting. A forged wheel's metallurgy is much more homogeneous due to pressures used in the forming process versus a cast wheel. Far fewer inclusions are created in a forging. Pitting is a by-product of porosity due to a pressure gradient away from the part surface in the mold which is uncovered after machining and relatively common with cast wheels.

As to your question Deke...simply ask the refinisher if he welds/adds aluminum to the wheel to fill the rash prior to machining back to its original shape...completing with satin finish and clearcoat. Tell him you can tell if the lips will be restored to their original shape (which ensures maximum strength and best appearance) which can only be achieved by welding in replacement metal and turning the lips down to their orignal shape.
HTH,
George