PDA

View Full Version : engine cut-out

peks
11-09-2005, 10:48 AM
i hope im not beating the dead horse..

since last winter, i have had a little idle prob in the cold. the engine will be running normal at idle, suddenly it will cut out for a half second, CEL blinks on, then return to the normal, slightly lumpy idle.

yesterday morning i started my car, went in for about 10 min, and when i came out, the engine had died. it started and drove fine to work, but on the way home it did the cut out thing a few times. at a stop its annoying but taking off in 1st gear at low rpm i almost hit the windshield when it does this.

plugs, fuel filter are <6 months old. i know i can start throwing money at it, cap and rotor, wires, etc, but is there some thing to check/clean..1st? planning on soaking the ICV in carb cleaner tonight..

DanH
11-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Check if you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

Pull out the dipstick or open the oil cap and see if it the idle gets much worse. If not then you might have a vacuum problem.

i hope im not beating the dead horse..

since last winter, i have had a little idle prob in the cold. the engine will be running normal at idle, suddenly it will cut out for a half second, CEL blinks on, then return to the normal, slightly lumpy idle.

yesterday morning i started my car, went in for about 10 min, and when i came out, the engine had died. it started and drove fine to work, but on the way home it did the cut out thing a few times. at a stop its annoying but taking off in 1st gear at low rpm i almost hit the windshield when it does this.

plugs, fuel filter are <6 months old. i know i can start throwing money at it, cap and rotor, wires, etc, but is there some thing to check/clean..1st? planning on soaking the ICV in carb cleaner tonight..

romus
11-09-2005, 04:43 PM
wouldnt be like that though. If it was vacuum leak, idle would be varying/rough all the time...not be fine and then engine cuts off suddenly.

632 Regal
11-09-2005, 06:04 PM
not necessarily, vacumm leaks in our cars can cause strange symptoms.

try a computer reboot yet?

wouldnt be like that though. If it was vacuum leak, idle would be varying/rough all the time...not be fine and then engine cuts off suddenly.