PDA

View Full Version : Engine goes off with A/C on

t_marat
11-09-2005, 10:29 AM
I had a crash, the condenser is broken. Now we are almost in winter so I will not need the conditioner anyway. I was thinking if I postpone buying the new condenser; will it have any detrimental effect on any other components of the A/C system?

Before the crash, engine used to go off whenever I switched the conditioner. That was happening only when the engine was on idle. One person told me it is becaue of my injectors, and the other says it is because of the compressor. That the compressor needs change.
What do you think?

Thanks.

My car: 1994 520i M50 Manual with A/C

romus
11-09-2005, 05:22 PM
i've had that same problem on my 3 series. Later A/C broke so problem went away :)

But i've had a friend with same issue and he was told it's the oxygen sensor. He replaced it and problem was solved.

I would try that.

Good luck

632 Regal
11-09-2005, 05:45 PM
I would at least try to seal the ends from atmosphere, the longer its open to the eliments the more corrosion will develop, even if you squash the ends in the condensor it will help. (not the good part but the bad part).

t_marat
11-10-2005, 06:54 AM
I would at least try to seal the ends from atmosphere, the longer its open to the eliments the more corrosion will develop, even if you squash the ends in the condensor it will help. (not the good part but the bad part).

So, there is no harm in the compressor spinning without any freon in the A/C system? If so, then I will not fix the A/C condenser and leave it as it is for now.
Another thing is that the electric fan on that A/C condenser is also broken. Is it only used for the A/C system or is it also required for the engine cooling?