PDA

View Full Version : Help me determine what's wrong: 530i clutch problem

Jon K
11-09-2005, 10:01 AM
Hey guys. Got a email the other day from my sister saying that her clutch is acting odd. She says it has almost no resistance going down to the floor. It DOES NOT get stuck to the floor, but when it comes up it hesitates right at the engagement point. I don't want her to start mindlessly buying slave and master cylinders so what do you guys think?

Jon K
11-09-2005, 11:40 AM
bump?

callen
11-09-2005, 12:04 PM
I mindlessly bought Slave but ended up being Master......not sure if you can tell which one is bad till you replace one and see what happens. Can she still shift okay?

peks
11-09-2005, 12:26 PM
if its consistent or consistently getting worse, the slave is easy to do, the master sucks.

i mindlessly bought slave and master and still it acts up once in a while, getting soft when warmed up, stiff again when cold. there was a thread on this earlier but there was no real conclusion i think.

PhilipJCaputo
11-09-2005, 04:39 PM
there are two bolts that hold the cylinder inside the car.... I was having some kind of issue with my pedal a while back... somewhat similar.. but not quite as bad....

went to the local hardware store.... took the non missing bolt out (cylinder opened up really far) found a matching bolt, and spent the next 25 mins in the ace parking lot trying to get it all back together (I did finally get it)

haven't had a problem since

Derek A.
11-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Probably the helper spring going south. They are about $16 from the dealer and a world of fun to put in.