PDA

View Full Version : Power steering problem (still)

BM-BOY
11-09-2005, 05:07 AM
A while ago, I noted that my power steering fluid was dissapearing, at a rate of nearly a litre a week...
I have looked at all the hoses etc for signs of leakage, but can't see anything obvious. The side of the reservoir is pretty dirty, so I was thinking the seal in the lid could maybe do with replacing, but more worrying, is that I have noticed a drippage of fluid from the rear of the car.
I know my car has self levelling rear suspension, but I don't really know what that means, but surely the power steering fluid must travel to the rear of the car...?

Could this drippage be the leak I have been lookng for? Any info greatfully received!

BTW, the drippage is coming from the middle of the car, towards the rear, near the diff, but I haven't been able to get under the car for a proper look.

Kev
11-09-2005, 05:34 AM
I had a similar problem with my touring, turned out to be rusty pipes that connected to the regulating valve were leaking big time- the power steering fluid reservoir was emptying within a few hours. If you look up www.realoem.com under rear axle; levelling device it might help you understand what your looking at when you get under the car.

Bill R.
11-09-2005, 09:35 AM
hoses themselves fastened to the struts as pictured below the bombs and hoses that is or the tube as mentioned above at the valve or the valve itselfhttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/Ladfun1.jpg

You can see the pressure accumulator mounted underneath on each side by the regulating valve herehttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/Ladfun2.jpg

A while ago, I noted that my power steering fluid was dissapearing, at a rate of nearly a litre a week...
I have looked at all the hoses etc for signs of leakage, but can't see anything obvious. The side of the reservoir is pretty dirty, so I was thinking the seal in the lid could maybe do with replacing, but more worrying, is that I have noticed a drippage of fluid from the rear of the car.
I know my car has self levelling rear suspension, but I don't really know what that means, but surely the power steering fluid must travel to the rear of the car...?

Could this drippage be the leak I have been lookng for? Any info greatfully received!

BTW, the drippage is coming from the middle of the car, towards the rear, near the diff, but I haven't been able to get under the car for a proper look.

Interceptor
11-09-2005, 10:43 AM
I know my car has self levelling rear suspension, but...
I suggest you eliminate LAD when you decide to change the shocks. It'll be worth it, trust me.

granit_silber
11-09-2005, 03:14 PM
hoses themselves fastened to the struts as pictured below the bombs and hoses that is or the tube as mentioned above at the valve or the valve itselfhttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/Ladfun1.jpg

Bill,
Quick question for ya and I don't mean to hijack.

Is the strut pictured in your reply have an outer shell that's been removed? I ask because my car has thrown a self-leveling check control msg a few times since I've owned it, but the rears are big thick blue Boge's.

-ashley