PDA

View Full Version : Why engine won't start sometimes??

romus
11-08-2005, 03:10 PM
I've had this problem before, but always keeps coming back. I've replaced things that could have been contributing and it went away, but seemingly never permanently.

Starts beautifully, all the time, after short turn of the ignition. But last couple of days, it gave me trouble - again. I turn the ignition for quite some time, and car wont start. Then i have to resort to waiting a few mins, or giving in many short tries. Once neither helped. Then it starts. This can happen when engine's cold AND when hot. Then next time, or next whole month can be starting without problems...what is this??

The starting doesn't sound lazy so i dont think its battery...please help guys.

Derek A.
11-08-2005, 04:45 PM
need to determine what the problem is
fuel, spark or compression - once you narrow that down you can look for the culprit part

Kakaire
11-09-2005, 03:26 AM
Used to happen to me long time ago, but after the fix never happened again.

Omega
11-09-2005, 04:58 AM
A few questions:

1> Is it an auto box? The safety switch could be sticking*
2> Does the engine turn over? If not the starter solenoid could be sticking

My Auto does this trick every so often, hot or cold but mostly when hot. I usually "waggle" the shifter and if this doesn't work clout the starter with a piece of wood, followed by a 5 minute diatribe of profanities. This usually gets it going. I have also noticed that battery charge is critical to getting it to start as well.

Cheers to Kakaire for the fusable link info. Never thought of that. I will check mine..

*[EDIT] Sorry just noticed in your sig that it's a manual. I'd suspect the starter solenoid if the engine doesn't turn over.