PDA

View Full Version : OBC and digital Dash question...

High Compression II
11-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Ive got hold of an OBC from an earlier 89 car, a 530/535 series. The info on the net suggests it needs a coding plug, when used with the 'low' dash inst panel.... What is the difference apart from the coding held in the different inst panel, between the 'low' and 'high' inst panels....?

My car has the same (looks like anyway...) inst panel as the car the OBC came from, Would I still need the coding eeprom to fit inside the OBC?....

Interceptor
11-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Ive got hold of an OBC from an earlier 89 car, a 530/535 series. The info on the net suggests it needs a coding plug, when used with the 'low' dash inst panel.... What is the difference apart from the coding held in the different inst panel, between the 'low' and 'high' inst panels....?

My car has the same (looks like anyway...) inst panel as the car the OBC came from, Would I still need the coding eeprom to fit inside the OBC?....
Low = No Check Control and no coding plug
High = With Check Control and coding plug built-in

High Compression II
11-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Guess mine's the 'low' then.........

What does the 'check control' look like, and what does it do??

Only had a brief look at the 530 inst panel.......

Jay 535i
11-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Guess mine's the 'low' then.........

What does the 'check control' look like, and what does it do??

Only had a brief look at the 530 inst panel.......

The check control looks something like this, I think:

http://data.bmrparts.com//QImages/A275890_604835_1.jpg

Interceptor
11-08-2005, 06:04 PM
The check control looks something like this, I think:

http://data.bmrparts.com//QImages/A275890_604835_1.jpg
Yes, but that's the E28/E30 check control panel :)

The high version of the cluster looks like this:
http://www.theeurodepot.com/e34%20cluster.jpg

High Compression II
11-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Do you know, if its possible to fit this type inst panel in place of the low type, or is this just a huge bag of trouble?--I would need to change the rev counter and probably other things too.....
The reason I ask, is its probably cheaper from my breakers to get the whole inst panel, than it would be for the coding plug for the OBC from the stealer!

Interceptor
11-09-2005, 02:00 AM
Do you know, if its possible to fit this type inst panel in place of the low type, or is this just a huge bag of trouble?--I would need to change the rev counter and probably other things too.....
The reason I ask, is its probably cheaper from my breakers to get the whole inst panel, than it would be for the coding plug for the OBC from the stealer!
You'll have to check if you have the complete harness + you'll have to buy a check control module.

High Compression II
11-09-2005, 05:33 AM
In the vehicle, where does the check control module live?--The donor vehicle is still more or less complete apart from some engine parts.....
I could get the matching unit from that......

Interceptor
11-09-2005, 09:01 AM
In the vehicle, where does the check control module live?--The donor vehicle is still more or less complete apart from some engine parts.....
I could get the matching unit from that......
In the fuse/relay box under the bonnet on the driver's side, where LKM is.