PDA

View Full Version : my front and rear wheel studs won't interchange.....

ryan roopnarine
11-07-2005, 10:39 PM
anyone else notice this with their car? i broke one off in the front wheel this weekend while attempting to change my thrust arms. after i got it out (yay for moi!), i realised that, for some reason, i only had 3 wheel studs up front (must have lost one). so i decided to pull one from the back wheels and use it until i could get to the BMW dealership today to buy a new one. problem was that the previously rear stud wouldn't screw into the front wheel with hand pressure. thought maybe the screw hole in front was messed up. i tried it in another hole, and found the same problem. thought maybe it was just an issue with that particular rear wheel, so i go and take one off of the other rear wheel. no dice. so i try putting one of the front studs on the rear wheel. same issue occurs. try again, but with a front wheel stud. finally interchangeable! im curious as to why this might happen, as it seems that brand new studs fit as easily on the front as they do the back (as did the one i obtained from the dealership today). any comments?

Torque
11-07-2005, 11:11 PM
As far as I know they were all the same size, so I don't see why the wouldn't. I am, however, very interested in this. If it wasn't so dark outside, I'd go and try to swap some.

shogun
11-07-2005, 11:19 PM
36 13 1 126 191 Wheel Lug Stud Bronze tint
http://www.bavauto.com/assets/product_images/hardpart/36131126191.jpg
Wheel Lug Stud - Black part # : 36 13 1 126 014
http://www.bavauto.com/assets/product_images/hardpart/36131126014.jpg

Springfield1952
11-08-2005, 12:16 AM
Somethings fishy. I took all my wheels off recently at the same time, the wheel bolts were put in a pile and there was no trouble putting the wheels back on just grabbing a bolt from the pile as I went. Weird.

Curt.

winfred
11-08-2005, 12:25 AM
all the same thread, same as the oil drain plug too 12x1.5 if i remember right

632 Regal
11-08-2005, 01:34 AM
me and Ryan used to party, last I checked he forgot to take his party hat off

you shure the daimeter of the knurled part is the same as what came out of there? I mean front to rear.