PDA

View Full Version : Did ALL E34s come with ABS as standard?

jplacson
03-06-2004, 12:28 AM
I'm not sure if mine came with ABS or not, it's a '89 Euro version. The ABS dashlight never comes on when I start up the car (but a lot of lights really don't light up as well...like the 'gear selection for automatics' since mine is a manual) ... my instrument cluster seems to have a lot of empty slots for other models (like a diesel preglow indicator) so I don't know if the ABS light is busted or not... while my car is in the shop I wanted to have it checked.

Is there a way for me to check if I have ABS or if my ABS is working or not? I want to know what to tell the guys at the shop...just in case they don't know what to do either. :) Thanks! :)

winfred
03-06-2004, 12:36 AM
not sure about the rest of the world but in the us all bimmers after 86 had abs, you can see the pump in the pic of my car, it's right below the red dipstick in the pic, bottom center, it's the thing with all of the metal pipes going from and to it
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/535%20l%20motor

Paul in NZ
03-06-2004, 12:39 AM
to the right and below the oil filter cannister.I am pretty sure it ABS cast into ithttp://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/engine1.jpg

winfred
03-06-2004, 12:44 AM
that's the early 4 channel pump, mine is the later 3 channel pump (one less line going out, one for both rear brakes)

Paul in NZ
03-06-2004, 01:11 AM
:d

winfred
03-06-2004, 01:19 AM
mines a 9/89 but i added the later pump when i installed the 92 525 wiring harness i had to install the later system to be compatable with the harness (my car was a interior burn and i updated it with later goodys, stereo, microfilter style hvac system with the resister pack and not the sword, among other stuff)

jplacson
03-06-2004, 01:26 AM
Thanks guys! Will check my engine bay! :D

epp
03-06-2004, 03:24 AM
jp,

replacing the bulbs are quite easy..i thought they were difficult..just remove the steering wheel..be sure to follow airbag removal instructions if you have one..mine did not..it is also recommended that you replce the self locking nut once it is removed inside the steering wheel..i did not..jsut make sure if you do not replace it with a new nut..make sure it is secured tightly.the instrument cluster is held on the dash by 2 mounting screws at the top of the cluster..you have to peer upwards to notiuce them as they are quite small..from here on its easy..just pull the inst cluster out and check the bulbs one by one..dad has two 635 and 630 spare inst cluster boards and i just used the bulbs..sort of cannibalized his 1.2&3watt spare bulbs..they all work now..

ed.

Thanks guys! Will check my engine bay! :D

jplacson
03-07-2004, 01:40 AM
Thanks Ed! Well, first I have to check if I do have ABS to begin with! Kinda pointless to replace a bulb that isn't connected to anything! ;) HAHAHA! :)