PDA

View Full Version : funny noises

BMWgeek
11-05-2005, 11:28 AM
94 525i, occasional crackling soft noise from fan/heater/air dash area, last summer noticed electrical wire burn like smell once but nothing since then...sounds like a relay/thermostat or flap trying to open or close...hard to repeat and predict when it happens....any ideas?

Kalevera
11-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Do a search on the terms "noise on startup and shutoff", big daddy.

A well discussed, beaten to death topic. Thud thud thud, as Bill would say. ;)

best, whit

BMWgeek
11-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Thks for the quick response, although "my noises" are not related to "startup or shutoff" i 'd love any hints!, i tried the search but all it returns is your response!!! can you link me up to the thread?
I would greatly appreaciate it!

632 Regal
11-05-2005, 02:05 PM
burning wire smell is usually the sword, all fan speeds work?

Phatty5BMW
11-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Could be the ventillation flaps for the heater???? Not sure but sounds like it to me (not the wire smell anway)\

Good luck!!

BMWgeek
11-05-2005, 05:31 PM
yep they do...the wierd thing is that it kinda sounds like something is "expanding", if it makes an sense...

Paul in NZ
11-05-2005, 05:54 PM
does this occur when you change the ventilation or heater settings.If you sit in the car and turn the key to on without starting the car and listen you will hear all sorts of whirring and creaking from inside the dash as all the stepper motors set the flaps to the appropriate positions,and the same happens when you turn off,sit in the car for a bit and listen..it goes on for ages.....off and on