PDA

View Full Version : Ha! Steering play no more! Finally!

Interceptor
11-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Yep, it's true, my steering wheel is now as tight as Pamela Anderson's **** in a kid's T-shirt. Adjusting the steering box was the solution! Thanks BM-BOY! :)

After trying to tighten the nut behind the wheel I discovered it's imposible to move it either way and left it the way it is. Today I adjusted the screw on top of the steering box and voila! Steering wheel feel is great, almost zero play.

The thing is, I had to tighten that screw all the way to achieve a nice and firm feel - I suspect my steering box is pretty worn out, but I hope it will last at least a 100k km more tighened to the max, like it is now. As far as I know, this is the original one. I guess, 350k km wouldn't be so bad for a stock steering box after all :)

632 Regal
11-05-2005, 10:55 AM
dude thats not good at all, does the steering wheel return to center on its own on a turn?

Interceptor
11-05-2005, 11:15 AM
dude thats not good at all, does the steering wheel return to center on its own on a turn?
Yes it does, but not as fast as it did when play was there. No return = bad?

Yes, I'm aware that the steering box will wear out faster when tightened to the max, but I suspect it's pretty worn out anyway, so I might as well enjoy the firm feel until it decides to go south for good. :)

Bill R.
11-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Yes it does, but not as fast as it did when play was there. No return = bad?

Yes, I'm aware that the steering box will wear out faster when tightened to the max, but I suspect it's pretty worn out anyway, so I might as well enjoy the firm feel until it decides to go south for good. :)

Interceptor
11-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Yeah, I kinda suspected that. How quickly is very quickly (in miles/km)? :)

Bill R.
11-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I kinda suspected that. How quickly is very quickly (in miles/km)? :)

Interceptor
11-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Ugh! :( So should I untighten it and live with the play?

Bill R.
11-05-2005, 11:41 AM
go back to where it was but you can't have it all the way tightened down either. All recirculating ball steering boxes have some play in them , they don't ever feel quite as tight as a rack and pinion steering gear.

Ugh! :( So should I untighten it and live with the play?

Interceptor
11-05-2005, 11:55 AM
go back to where it was but you can't have it all the way tightened down either. All recirculating ball steering boxes have some play in them , they don't ever feel quite as tight as a rack and pinion steering gear.
Thanks! I will do that tommorow. I guess I can live with SOME play, but this was, like, 2 cm from left to right, I had to do something about it.

One more time, thanks Bill and Jeff for your prompt answers!

Alexlind123
11-05-2005, 12:26 PM
2cm really doesnt seem like very much.

Interceptor
11-05-2005, 12:40 PM
2cm really doesnt seem like very much.
Yes it does, if you drive fast enough.