PDA

View Full Version : Changing pad compounds

mbogosia
11-05-2005, 09:21 AM
I changed my rear pads about 3 months ago. I kept the old rotors. I went from an OE type pad to a organic. I have had tons of squealing and terrible braking. I am assuming that the change in compiunds is what caused this. Anyone have any insight?

Bill R.
11-05-2005, 10:26 AM
rear also was an organic. There are probably a dozen organic pads out there that will work fine. You just have the wrong one. You don't state what pads your using on the rear

I changed my rear pads about 3 months ago. I kept the old rotors. I went from an OE type pad to a organic. I have had tons of squealing and terrible braking. I am assuming that the change in compiunds is what caused this. Anyone have any insight?

632 Regal
11-05-2005, 10:56 AM
did you bed them in? were the rotors glazed?

mbogosia
11-05-2005, 02:17 PM
Well I just changed the rear rotors(Brembo) and pads(axxis semi metalics) and they are good. Unfortunatley my problem was not with the pbr organics I replaced. After the install I can still feel and hear my brakes and it is coming from the front! So I think I am going to try to take a metal brush to my front rotors and put the pbr organics on the front. The rotors are drilled and still have life left in them. I think it is worth a shot before I go and buy a whole new front set up also.

632 Regal
11-05-2005, 02:34 PM
sand them with an orbital sander, a wire brush wont do a thing.

mbogosia
11-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Okay , thanks. Is there any way to see if a pad or rotor is glazed over? If one is glazed then they both will be right?

632 Regal
11-05-2005, 02:47 PM
Not necessarily, if a caliper is hanging up it can glaze only one.
if the rotor is really shiney it is glazed, same with the pad, both can be sanded but the pad should only be sanded enough to break through it.
QUOTE=mbogosia]Okay , thanks. Is there any way to see if a pad or rotor is glazed over? If one is glazed then they both will be right?[/QUOTE]

mbogosia
11-05-2005, 02:53 PM
I just took the wheel off on the front driver side and the pad is very low. Probably a 1/4 " at the most. I migth as well just throw my semi used PBR's on and see how they work.

632 Regal
11-05-2005, 03:12 PM
could, they will take some time to break in to the current rotor conditions.

mbogosia
11-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Well mission failed. I forgot that the rear pads are different so the used PBR's I have won't work. Oh well. I think I'll buy new pads and rotors next weekend and be done with it. Thanks regal.