PDA

View Full Version : want my 535i to perform better

jav
03-05-2004, 10:02 PM
what can i do to the motor (on a budget) to get more pep from my motor,its got about 298K thats kilometers and is a 5speed?

plus are bilsteins the only shocks/struts out there to get to go along with my lowering springs?/

Martin in Bellevue
03-05-2004, 10:17 PM
Get a 3.64 limited slip differential or a 3.73.

I replaced the open 3.46 with a fresh 3.64 limited slip last night. I think for around town, it is definitely the most noticeable improvement I've made. It is more noticeable than the JimC chip, the MAF, or the 15 pound flywheel. I suspect the 3.91:1 rear gears would be too short to make first gear usable on these cars.

I am happy with the Bilstein sports I put on my car with lowering springs. I've heard from several enthusiasts, that Koni's may offer the same performance with a better ride. Many m3 guys seem to prefer the Koni's.

Warren N.CA
03-06-2004, 04:45 PM
The way I figure the difference is that I only need to wind 5K to get the same acceleration I got with the factory chip, winding the 6.25K redline. So, everything above 5K is now GRAVY. Much easier and cheaper than a diff. But then, why not do both, and why not 3.91?

what can i do to the motor (on a budget) to get more pep from my motor,its got about 298K thats kilometers and is a 5speed?

plus are bilsteins the only shocks/struts out there to get to go along with my lowering springs?/

Trevor
03-06-2004, 10:29 PM
Check my post (just adding) on the Mark D'Sylva chip.