PDA

View Full Version : Hi Guys, introducing my new monster...

beetos
11-05-2005, 06:24 AM
Hi guys
Wanted to introduce my latest toy roaming the streets of Western Australia. Its a turbocharged 88 535i which has had a lot of work done to the motor.

block was sourced (new), a 745i turbo block from Germany.
crank and rods are german aftermarket, fully balanced bottom end
APEP forged pistons 7:1 CR
o ringed block/head
Fully ported head by Greg Gower in WA
Custom cam by Wade cams
770cc injectors
Haltech 6EK engine management with individual coils
Special EFI 1000cc 4 plate throttle body adapted to fit stock inlet manifold
Custon exhaust manifold feeding a Garret GT30 ball bearing turbo
External wastegate routed back to exhaust
Dual 2.5" exhaust by Andy Butler in WA (sounds mad)
massive front mounted custon intercooler
and a lot of other smaller bits to make it run right

Suspension is Bilstien all round with Brembo monoblock 4 piston and 850i rotors on the font and Bembo 2 piston monoblock on the back.

Box is a Getrag G260/6 and the diff has had some LSD work done recently. Clutch is special and was originally ceramic puks but was a bitch to drive. A special was made up by the clutch factory in WA that is organic. Its pretty heavy to operate but is strong as hell and very streetable. Wheels are Alpina.

It a crazy drive when its provoked. Its like a gentlemans street legal racer. 1st is no use under boost. 2nd is pretty violent. 3rd onwards is just mad thrust...

Is makes 470 lb.ft at 2800rpm and it holds torque to redline (ouch..., my poor old Getrag!). A dyno plot from a magazine article that featured it a few years back showed 503hp at the rears, ~650hp+ at the crank.

I was in touch with the owner last year when I lived in the states and since arriving in oz, have always toyed with the idea of buying it. I had a Honda S2000 for a while but its little 9000rpm engine drove me crazy so I ditched it and got the beemer.

I love it. I am a tinkerer and have had many modified cars including BMW M3's, E39 540i, etc and many Porsches.

I have a few questions I hope you guys can help with about stuff on the car such which I will throw in another thread. Look forward to participating in this excellent forum!

BigKriss
11-05-2005, 06:45 AM
G'day mate. I've been intersted in a turbo setup for a while, there aren't too many turbo e34's in australia. Your car looked similar to the one that was on ebay a while ago. Your engine mods sound awesome. I have heaps of questions, I won't ask them now though. welcome aboard.

Rory525
11-05-2005, 06:47 AM
Hi There welcome to the forum

That car looks absolutely stunning. Really is one of the most impressive 5 series Ive seen, and pretty much my dream 5... I so need a turbo lol

Must be awesome with that sort of power. Has it been reliable ?

DCR
11-05-2005, 06:48 AM
Welcome. If you are also looking for a local forum for crusies try www.eurocca.net

Car looks great.

Evan
11-05-2005, 06:48 AM
You must be shittin' me. Is there a track near you and have you let it all hang out?

beetos
11-05-2005, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the compliments, Its a little rougher than it might look in the flesh but nothing a bit of paint and body work work won't fix. Its pretty reliable so far. Its been in its current tune for a few years and starts and runs fine. No smoke etc. Tranny is suprisingly healthy.

The Haltech needs some work at idle and very light throttle as is idles a bit rough (like a cammy V8 on carbs) and hunts a bit at light load. The idle air contol system seems to be shagged but I'm pretty sure its just the set up within the Haltech. I'm sure I can smooth out the tuning.

The main thing is that the mapping under boost feels very good. I will probably change the engine management to AEM soon as I want something with closed loop knock and boost control. I am a strong believer in making sure the engine managemet is spot on. Get that wrong and its usually curtains.

I really need to get it to a track and open it up. Its a bit overkill for the steet!

DueyT
11-05-2005, 07:20 AM
Beetos, sweet ride there! That thing must be insane under boost! I know what you mean about 1st gear..... ;)

Any specs on the track?

Cheers,
Duey

Gayle
11-05-2005, 08:33 AM
Hi guys

I had a Honda S2000 for a while but its little 9000rpm engine drove me crazy so I ditched it and got the beemer.

!

We are all drooling over the power your beast has. Too bad you are in Western Australia. If you were around Sydney, you and BigKriss could go to the track together. Here are some pics of the homeboys from Oz.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=15368&highlight=sydney

I am with Duey--tell us more what you mean about 1st gear.

And fyi, the convention on this board is beemers are cycles--we drive bimmers.

Congrats on scoring that car and welcome to the board.

Scott C
11-05-2005, 08:48 AM
We are all drooling over the power your beast has. Too bad you are in Western Australia. If you were around Sydney, you and BigKriss could go to the track together. Here are some pics of the homeboys from Oz.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=15368&highlight=sydney

I am with Duey--tell us more what you mean about 1st gear.

And fyi, the convention on this board is beemers are cycles--we drive bimmers.

Congrats on scoring that car and welcome to the board.

That car is awesome... BTW - when I use the same lead in phrase "introducing my new monster" my wife just laughs - why is that?

beetos
11-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Well, 1st is basically wheelspin under high boost. Its hard to modulate 20psi when to prevent wheelspin when it comes on so fast. The GT30 ball bearing turbo is a very nice unit, and when being whipped up by a 3.5 litre mill, it kicks like a mule. Anyway, 1st is all over in a second, much better to get off the line fairly decent and nail it in 2nd.

Bimmer not beemer, thanks for getting me staight on that:) How could I make such a mistake, especially when I'm logged onto 'bimmer.info.com'.....I stand corrected!

Randell
11-05-2005, 09:15 AM
i think that's 3 of us from WA now.. impressive car, i wouldn't mind seeing a video of it being driven hard!

Dave M
11-05-2005, 09:38 AM
1st is no use under boost. 2nd is pretty violent. 3rd onwards id just mad thrust...

Wow, you're gonna makes a lot of friends here. Except for the hood scoop and tasteful body kit, it appears to be quite the 'sleeper', must be fun:)

What Porches have you owned, and how would you compare similar vintages to this beast?

I'm sure you'll add tons to the board, welcome,

Dave M

Gayle
11-05-2005, 09:52 AM
i think that's 3 of us from WA now.. impressive car, i wouldn't mind seeing a video of it being driven hard!

Video? You guys should have a meet.

onewhippedpuppy
11-05-2005, 11:35 AM
What a beast! I think we need more pics!

Booster
11-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Good job ! So glad to see more turbo interest coming aboard. Can you post or email more pix of the ex. manifold and turbo plumbing? I'm still mocking up all of this and its always nice to the engineering of others to think it through.
Cheers.............Vinny :D

632 Regal
11-05-2005, 01:57 PM
oh yeah, oh yeah, me likes, me likes a LOT!!!

Definetly get more pics, vids, audio, on a short jaunt around the hood...damn thats too sweet!

Phatty5BMW
11-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Nice ride!!! I just had an accident in my pants.... and no it wasn't pee :D
Congrats on the car/board. Hope to see more on your beast!!!!

angrypancake
11-05-2005, 02:14 PM
What kind of kit is that?

Incantation
11-05-2005, 02:33 PM
welcome to the forum .. if you ever want to sell that car.. let me know haha..

looks great. i would love to drive it.. must be incredible.

mattyb
11-05-2005, 06:44 PM
good to see more aussies on the board. do you drive that sweet thing everyday? We are all looking forward to the video. What mag was it in? welcome and enjoy

HDhandyman
11-05-2005, 07:27 PM
Nice whip. Sounds like they're not gonna let you off the hook until you film a video. Maybe you could post windows and quicktime?

Cheers

beetos
11-05-2005, 09:56 PM
1st is no use under boost. 2nd is pretty violent. 3rd onwards id just mad thrust...

Wow, you're gonna makes a lot of friends here. Except for the hood scoop and tasteful body kit, it appears to be quite the 'sleeper', must be fun:)

What Porches have you owned, and how would you compare similar vintages to this beast?

I'm sure you'll add tons to the board, welcome,

Dave M

Thanks,

Yes, I don't really like the vent either but I like to think that it is functional. The turbo is pretty close to the hood and the vent is right infont of it. Not sure what kind of kit is on it but I'll let it be for now. I like the look of the car, pretty sinister.

Past Porsches....lets see. I started with an 86 944 turbo which was running 16psi, then a 1990 911 C2 3.6 which I put an Eaton 90 supercharger on. That was fun. Then I got an 88 3.2 Carrera which I rebuilt with race cams and MAF etc, a crazy ride, next was a 944 S2 cab, nothing outstanding but nice looking. The last and best was a 1989 944 Turbo S. I pushed the boat out on that one. It had a T04E hybrid turbo, Link plus EMS, 20 psi with water / meth. It made ~400hp and was a great car. 944 turbos are one of my all time favourite and I will probably get another. My only other 5 was a E39 540ia.

I love the 80's and early 90's porsches and BMWs. Before I got my 89 944Ts, I had a brand new E46 M3 in Houston which I had for about 2 months. It was just not for me.

My 535iTurbo feels like it fits right into the pack. It feels solid, fast, and rides great even with the billies. Its feel as strong as my 89 turbo S but is oh so smooth and sounds crazy. The turbo is loud when it spools and even though the dump valve is routed back into the inlet, it is loud. It attracts a lot of attention when you are pushing it!

The car was featured in Zoom magazine about 4 years ago. I have the mag and will scan it. When I have time I will snap some pics of the exhaust manifold set up etc for you guys.

Stacy (Sydney)
11-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Welcome aboard - if you ever get the beast to Melbourne for a track day, I think you'd see a fleet of e34's driving over from Syd.

grease
11-07-2005, 06:15 PM
is 745i a typo cause that looks like a 3.5l 6cyl

Bill R.
11-07-2005, 06:25 PM
factory turbo block and according to FIA rules at the time when you turbo it you had to increase the displacement accordingly, thats the calculated displacement figuring the 3.4 motor and the turbo.

is 745i a typo cause that looks like a 3.5l 6cyl

Jeff N.
11-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Curious on the details of your Haltech engine management system. Martin and I have tossed around the idea for some time on value of an improved system that incorporates sequential fuel injection, independent coils, knock sensors, control of the advance and fuel maps, etc.

Do you have details on how your setup is configured? Also, curious if/how it integrates into existing BMW functions like the OBC, cluster lights, etc.

thx!

mancini_mark
11-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Hello everyone,

Man that is a sweet ride. I knew I'd seen that car before. I immediately flipped through my old magazines, and sure enough, there it was! The article claims about 700 horsepower. Wow...I can smell those rear tires smoking from here in Canada!

Mark

BigKriss
11-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Curious on the details of your Haltech engine management system. Martin and I have tossed around the idea for some time on value of an improved system that incorporates sequential fuel injection, independent coils, knock sensors, control of the advance and fuel maps, etc.

Do you have details on how your setup is configured? Also, curious if/how it integrates into existing BMW functions like the OBC, cluster lights, etc.

thx! beetos sent me this. It will answer a lot of questions. http://servo.postverket.us/alex/BMW.pdf

stock rocker arms, how many rpm's can they take?

thanks to alex123 for hosting.

beetos
11-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks for putting the Zoom scan Bigkriss, its a pretty good write up. A few changes to note, the wastegate was moved under the the car beside the AC compressor and rounted back to the downpipe down the side of the motor. I suspect the position shown in the zoom mag was a first attempt. Also, the Haltech no longer tapers off boost, its controlled by a check valve type controller. I am very keen to make sure the AFRs are good becuase the zoom article talks about the injectors maxing out with boost tapering off to 14psi. It now holds 20psi to redline without any taper so unless its had bigger injectors and tuning at some point, it could be running lean. No knock though so I suspect its all good but a trip to the dyno is in order I think. As for rocker arms, I am planning on reducing the rev limit to stock seeing as I don't track it. Don't want to temp fate. The previous owener broke an arm about 2 years ago, I suspect he used to rev the **** out of it.

Jeff, I really want to put an AEM EMS system on it (which basically does everything I want). It should be doable. I made my own harness for a Honda AEM 1010 box on my old 944 turbo. Takes a lot of time but seeing the 5 is already stand alone it should be relatively easy to splice in. Getting the crank and cam triggers set up and working seems to be the hardest part. Also, there is a lot of time/money in tuning from a clean sheet which is a consideration.

The Haltech has fully programmable timing and fuel maps, can do batch injection and wasted spark but does not have closed loop knock or close loop boost control. The stock OBC is pretty much useless (which they are when they work anyway). I will probably take it out and put a gauge where it is.

Mark, I never knew it was in the 2001 BMW performace magazine. Any chance you can scan and send me a copy or post it? Much obliged.