PDA

View Full Version : whine in steering column

sgeorge
11-04-2005, 11:02 AM
my 95 540 has developed a whine in the steering column when it is initially started, and/or when the ignition is in the position just prior to starting the engine.
this whine continues when engine starts and eventually stops, or I can turn the ignition off, and turn it back on and sometimes it will stop, particularly after 2 or 3 minutes.
cold temperatures seem to be prolong the whine.
is this a symptom of something about to fail?

dacoyote
11-04-2005, 11:20 AM
my 95 540 has developed a whine in the steering column when it is initially started, and/or when the ignition is in the position just prior to starting the engine.
this whine continues when engine starts and eventually stops, or I can turn the ignition off, and turn it back on and sometimes it will stop, particularly after 2 or 3 minutes.
cold temperatures seem to be prolong the whine.
is this a symptom of something about to fail?

Maybe it wants some cheese for the w(h)ine....

HAHAHAHAHHAHA

darn I am funny....

Do you have an ajustable steering wheel with memory seats?

-Charles

632 Regal
11-04-2005, 01:06 PM
when you turn the wheel?

MBXB
11-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Check your PS steering fluid level?

sgeorge
11-04-2005, 02:32 PM
YES.

Maybe it wants some cheese for the w(h)ine....

HAHAHAHAHHAHA

darn I am funny....

Do you have an ajustable steering wheel with memory seats?

-Charles

sgeorge
11-04-2005, 02:34 PM
no. when simply sitting still or running down the road. when I brake...it does mute the whine but then returns when you let off the brake.
most mornings I simply run a few blocks, turn the car off, and as I turn the key to the number 2 position, I will know whether it is done whining or not.

when you turn the wheel?

632 Regal
11-04-2005, 02:38 PM
you need to give us better clues...describe the whine, does it sound like its coming from under the dash or outside the car?

sgeorge
11-04-2005, 02:45 PM
it sounds like it is coming from the steering column under the dash. sounds like a pump that is dragging.
not too dissimilar to the whine caused by the power steering pump when low on fluid.
seems to come from the same area as the clunk clunk clunk of the heating system valves that operate when you shut the car down. Perhaps it is associated with that system.

sgeorge
11-04-2005, 02:47 PM
the whine is not associated at all with turning the steering wheel.
i've got the slow power steering system leak and am familiar with those sounds.

Kalevera
11-04-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm assuming you have a power telescoping column.

It's not entirely uncommon for them to eat gears. More of an E38 issue.

My money is on the potentiometer thinking the column is out of place, then trying to move it.

Just a thought.

best, whit

mattyb
11-05-2005, 06:02 PM
I get the same thing but have stopped worrying about it. Does it happen all the time or just now and then?