PDA

View Full Version : Manual shifter vibration?

gale
11-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Does anyone else's do this: driving along in 4th, reach down & gently rest my hand on the shifter & can feel a slight gear chatter-like vibration. I diddle with the lever while still in gear & no change. I step on the clutch & shift it to neutral & back to 4th and it goes away. Seems like it has a 1-in-3 likelyhood of chattering -- subtle, doesn't make any noise. I checked the rubber boot underneath and linkage as well, and there doesn't seem to be any obstructions keeping it from engaging completely. All shift linkage wear components are near-new as well as motor & trans mounts & guibo, rebuilt driveshaft is smooth as silk. Running Redline MTL.

Just wondering if this is a sign of syncro or shift fork wear. Trans has about 140k miles on it (88 Getrag 260/6) never been apart before. Doesn't do it in any other gear & all gears shift smoothly, never pops out of any gear & only grinds if I screw up & throw a bad shift.

Jeff N.
11-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Hi Gale,

My old tranny did that. I attibuted it to fork wear. I checked and replaced everything you did as well - no change. Tranny was a high mileage unit; higher than yours.

Never did find out what it was for sure.

gale
11-05-2005, 12:42 AM
Yeh, that's kinda what I figured. It's perfect otherwise -- "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Thanks!