PDA

View Full Version : Are all trip computers backlit?

Jay 535i
11-03-2005, 10:17 PM
My buttons don't light up. Should they? If so, how do I fix it?

gale
11-03-2005, 10:26 PM
There should be 3 bulbs depending on vintage. Here's a link for replacing them. Make sure you get the right bulbs, the ETK is in error & calls for older e28 6V bulbs which will burn out in an E32/e34:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_36.htm

dacoyote
11-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Gale Beat me to it...

dacoyote
There should be 3 bulbs depending on vintage. Here's a link for replacing them. Make sure you get the right bulbs, the ETK is in error & calls for older e28 6V bulbs which will burn out in an E32/e34:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_36.htm

Darn... 3 minutes...

romus
yes buttons are backlit. There are 3 small bulbs. Two on each side and one on top of the OBC unit if im not mistaken. You have to take the radio out first, leave it hanging by the wires temporarily. In the corner of the radio opening you have a little lever. Pull/push on that to release the OBC from the centre console. Replace the bulbs and you'll have backlight :)

romus
11-03-2005, 10:30 PM
oops, i had this page open for some time now (im at work) and didnt refresh to see if anyone replied already. sorry

uscharalph
11-04-2005, 01:40 AM
Make sure you get the right bulbs. There's a problem with the part numbers. The wrong bulbs come with the green bases. The correct ones have black bases.

Jay 535i
11-06-2005, 12:50 AM
Make sure you get the right bulbs. There's a problem with the part numbers. The wrong bulbs come with the green bases. The correct ones have black bases.

Where do I get them? Dealer?

Is it unusual for all three bulbs to go out? Mine've never worked.

Thanks a lot everyone.

shogun
11-06-2005, 01:14 AM
Is the OBC working at all on your car?
If not, is the anti theft alarm working?
If not maybe the fuse is gone.
Use a flashlight and hold it from an angle to the OBC. If you see the indication on the OBC, then it works. If you see nothing, check the fuse. There is a special fuse under the rear seat. I once showed a pic of that.

Jay 535i
11-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Is the OBC working at all on your car?
If not, is the anti theft alarm working?
If not maybe the fuse is gone.
Use a flashlight and hold it from an angle to the OBC. If you see the indication on the OBC, then it works. If you see nothing, check the fuse. There is a special fuse under the rear seat. I once showed a pic of that.

The OBC works fine. It's just that the button labels don't light up.

romus
11-06-2005, 02:55 PM
i dont know if its unusual but once i came back to my car after shopping and display was out when turning the car on. Buttons were lit for another couple days that then that went out too. Changed them, and no probs since.

romus
11-06-2005, 02:58 PM
yeh that's your bulbs...then you dont have to get 3 either. Only two i think, but double check that, not sure if 1 or 2 go to light the display area, but i think it's one. Then you should need 2 for the buttons.

uscharalph
11-06-2005, 03:46 PM
yeh that's your bulbs...then you dont have to get 3 either. Only two i think, but double check that, not sure if 1 or 2 go to light the display area, but i think it's one. Then you should need 2 for the buttons.
Why not just replace all three now and you know they're all good for a good while.

Bimminator
11-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Does the liquid quartz display light up? I replaced mine a year ago, had to get the bulbs from the stealer, $3 each I think. I couldn't get the whole OBC unit to come out. The push pull lever would only pop the unit out about 1.5 inches, I was able to pop the front face of the unit off the OBC and get at the bulbs that way. Nothing broke and it all clicked back together. Just thought I would pass that along incase your unit would not come all the way out.

Good luck, not a big job.

Shawn

romus
11-06-2005, 05:27 PM
hehe thats what i did, but not necessarily what he has to do :)

btw, here they are $6 a piece.

Jay 535i
11-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Does the liquid quartz display light up? I replaced mine a year ago, had to get the bulbs from the stealer, $3 each I think. I couldn't get the whole OBC unit to come out. The push pull lever would only pop the unit out about 1.5 inches, I was able to pop the front face of the unit off the OBC and get at the bulbs that way. Nothing broke and it all clicked back together. Just thought I would pass that along incase your unit would not come all the way out.

Good luck, not a big job.

Shawn

Thanks for the tip.

Yup, the LCD works, which is why I managed to go all this time without realizing there was something wrong with it. 'Course, 12 identical, illegible buttons at night does make operating the thing interesting.