PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice for Tomorrow

Evan
11-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Hi Guys

Tomorrow I'm going to drive a 94 540i and I've wanted one for a while but couldn't afford one til now...

What should I check for?
How do I use the "stomp test" to find any problems?

Thanks!

Evan

dacoyote
11-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Give it to me?

Gayle
11-03-2005, 10:05 PM
e34 buyers guide (http://www.bmw4life.com/buyingE34.htm)

uscharalph
11-04-2005, 01:42 AM
Hi Guys

Tomorrow I'm going to drive a 94 540i and I've wanted one for a while but couldn't afford one til now...

What should I check for?
How do I use the "stomp test" to find any problems?

Thanks!

Evan
Have it checked by an independant BMW mechanic you trust, It's well worth it.

Springfield1952
11-04-2005, 01:51 AM
Stomp test:

1. Turn the ignition key on (without starting the car) and depress the accelerator pedal to the floor 5 times within 5 seconds.
2. The check engine light will remain lit for 5 seconds, blink off, light for 2.5 seconds, goes off for 2.5 sec. and will start flashing the codes.
3. Each code is separated by a 2.5 sec. pause. A 0.5 sec. blink then nothing means the end of the code reading. To read them again, depress the accelerator pedal 5 times again.

To see the codes go here: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/engine_codes.htm

Good luck.

Curt.

632 Regal
11-04-2005, 02:02 AM
Dude dont jump!

You have time to have it inspected, even if it costs a couple hundred ducks you will be ahad of the game on 2 fronts, if you get the car you know what needs immediate attention....2 you will save yourdelf the hardship of having to replace something worth more than the car it self...

If you get the car you owe me a ride in it down a freeway.

MBXB
11-04-2005, 02:23 AM
Definitely have an indy inspect it.
And while he has it up on the lift, check the block serial number to see if it's a Nikasil or Alusil; not that it makes a difference at this point in time, but you may as well know up front.

DueyT
11-04-2005, 05:39 AM
Evan, read up on early M60 V-8's here: http://www.koalamotorsport.com/article-m60v8.asp

And, as the othere guys said, tell the seller you will take it to an independant mechanic (who has a good reputation, tell the folks where you live and you might get a recommendation here). If the seller balks, and doesn't agree...PASS ON THE CAR!

Things to look for: worn front suspension components (the infamour thrust arm), steering linkages, driveshaft, rear suspension components (the short pittman arms - look like 4" long dog bones) and general condition under the hood.

Records, whether from BMW stealer or an Indy mechanic would help greatly.

Here is another site that you can read through to familiarize yourself with the major aspects of E34's in general, and some V-8 specifics... Bruno's E34 site (http://www.bmwe34.net/)

Oh, as much as you may like the car, if you are very interested tell the seller so, but do not be swayed from the independant inspection. Also, take pics and post them here so we can feel the Karma (or lack thereof) of your potential new ride. :)

Cheers,
Duey

632 Regal
11-04-2005, 01:24 PM
and DEFINETLY run a car fax on it!!

Records, whether from BMW stealer or an Indy mechanic would help greatly.

Here is another site that you can read through to familiarize yourself with the major aspects of E34's in general, and some V-8 specifics... Bruno's E34 site (http://www.bmwe34.net/)

Oh, as much as you may like the car, if you are very interested tell the seller so, but do not be swayed from the independant inspection. Also, take pics and post them here so we can feel the Karma (or lack thereof) of your potential new ride. :)

Cheers,
Duey[/QUOTE]

Evan
11-04-2005, 01:57 PM
OK I'm on my way out the door and i took all of your advice. I printed out a sheet with the things I will inspect when I get there. This is my second E34. The first has been awesome.

The block on this one is Nikasil... it has some rust and it isn't perfect but if the price is right and the drive train is solid, I'll take the plunge...

I'll let you know tonight what happened.

Cheers,
Evan

632 Regal
11-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Good luck!!!

Johntee540
11-04-2005, 03:54 PM
As well as pulling the Block #'s

Check the bottom of the Doors for rust - they are notorius for rusting out.

I had to do lead work on 3 of my doors.

Good Luck - I love my 94 540iA

JT

Johntee540
11-04-2005, 03:57 PM
I like the idea of posting the pics so we can do the "Karma Check" - Hell I have spent so much time with my e34 lately in the Garage - it has been re-named to "The New Girlfriend".

If they only knew how much refuge that garage offers! :) - JT

Evan
11-04-2005, 09:47 PM
Congratulations are in order. I drove 100 miles not knowing what I would find and my imagination was running wild --- torn leather... rust holes... trans program... bent frames... you name it, I imagined it.

When I got there, I found a pristine Oxford Green 540 with all service records, a perfect interior, and near perfect exterior. I was so emotional that I knew I was buying it before I drove it. I'm still pretty high. There is a slight steering fluid leak directly underneath the reservoir, a bad brake caliper, and a strange vibration from the rear (bearing?) but this is a true beauty of a car. All I can say is "wow."

I paid the man and grabbed the title and I'll be picking her up tomorrow morning. Thanks to everyone who contributed. If you need a free CarFax or a not so free Dell laptop (or ten) let me know!

Pictures forthcoming ---

A Very Excited E34 owner named Evan

DueyT
11-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Congrats, Evan! Of course piccies must follow in short order for the Congratulation Ceremony to be properly completed! ;)

Cheers,
Duey

AllGo'n'Show
11-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Free carfax? I could use one, Not so free dell laptop? Specs? Price?

Pictures!!!

632 Regal
11-05-2005, 02:23 AM
all sold.

Free carfax? I could use one, Not so free dell laptop? Specs? Price?

Pictures!!!

DCR
11-05-2005, 02:38 AM
My only tip is to never look to keen.

MBXB
11-05-2005, 02:48 AM
Congrats Evan!

The power steering leak is usually the clamp, brake calier is an ez-FIY...and that rear vibration could be a just rear tire with unusual wear.
I'd do an inspection II and you're all set.

Ramon

Springfield1952
11-05-2005, 03:05 AM
Great news Evan! Your excitement really came through in your note. Remember, inquiring minds want to see photos!

Curt.