PDA

View Full Version : !HELP! New GM and New RM...still no windows,locks,ect...

drmmaster
11-03-2005, 08:04 PM
1992 525i

please help....i just installed a new RM and GM....fusable link is good....still have high wiperspeed only.....no sunroof....no windows.....central locks wont work.....am i missing somthing....ALL fuses are good....ran a test light on fuse box under hood...all fuses that should be getting power are including window fuse....took driver door panal off...getting no power to motor...and also...getting no power to switches im about to give up and take it to a shop....also just in case it helps diagnose problem...the interior lights wont come on when door is opened...only when i make them come on....

im stumped...please give any advise you can......

myles
11-03-2005, 08:59 PM
I know you said that you have checked all of the fuses, but you only mentioned the fuses in the front power distribution box. I have had a quick look at the diagrams and Fuse 30 under the back seat plays a role in the windows, locks, wipers and interior lights. Check it and see if there is power to it?

Bill R.
11-03-2005, 09:00 PM
1992 525i

.please help....i just installed a new RM and GM....fusable link is good....still have high wiperspeed only.....no sunroof....no windows.....central locks wont work.....am i missing somthing....ALL fuses are good....ran a test light on fuse box under hood...all fuses that should be getting power are including window fuse....took driver door panal off...getting no power to motor...and also...getting no power to switches im about to give up and take it to a shop....also just in case it helps diagnose problem...the interior lights wont come on when door is opened...only when i make them come on....

im stumped...please give any advise you can......

drmmaster
11-03-2005, 09:17 PM
i chked the fuses in the back with a fuse tester...but not chked it for power...i will do that now.....also...initialy no i did not disconnect the bat when i installed modules...but i did disconect for about 30 second after i realized..they fixed nothing...

myles
11-03-2005, 09:22 PM
do you have the wiring diagram for your?

Javier
11-03-2005, 09:40 PM
also the Power protection relay K15, though I'm not sure this last is related to interior lights.

Javier

Dan in NZ
11-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Crash relay perhaps?

drmmaster
11-03-2005, 09:58 PM
just got back in from garage.....fuse 30 has power......did a reset pulled rm and gm....discon batt put back in.....also please try and follow me here...dunno if this counts for anything.......with key on position2.....rm and gm out.......i only have power on the bottom left black side of RM holes....(so if your looking down at where they go....only the left most bottom hole has power (with test light)...and...cant get any sign of power on the GM side on the first white connector with the big pins...cannot test all the small pins..dont have anything small enough..

drmmaster
11-03-2005, 10:24 PM
power protection relay?...will that stop power to the GM?...
and can i jump it to test?

Javier
11-04-2005, 06:35 AM
disconnecting F47 power to GM. GM monitors current being drawn from F47 and opens the K15 relay to protect circuits.

Check your mail.

Javier

drmmaster
11-04-2005, 06:56 PM
i hear 1 click back there when i put negative terminal back on the batt....i assume its the power protection relay....i have a new one comming.....can anyone confirm...that the power protection relay...is the exact same part# as the wiper relay????.....because if it isnt...mine is....lol....

Javier
11-04-2005, 07:56 PM
bad or not? Why don't you just buy a new car, it sure will get rid of the problem!!

Just kidding, but seriously, it is an expensive way to fix it.

About the relay, same layout, same connector, probably same part number.

Again, not sure it will interfere with operation of interior lights, but being the same part number than Wiper relay, you could have switch them and test the GM with the wiper relay in place of power protection relay.

Javier

drmmaster
11-04-2005, 08:12 PM
just doing what i can...i really dont want to take it to someone if i can help it...but it looks like its heading that direction....

Paul in NZ
11-04-2005, 08:28 PM
are you absolutely sure the fusible link is ok??often they look and test fine but have a fine crack and will not pass heavy currents

drmmaster
11-04-2005, 08:41 PM
fusible link is bypassed at the moment,....just came back in...both relays will run the wipers on high....switching does not help windows,locks.....when i switched relays....i also did it with batt disconected...and pulled GM and RM

drmmaster
11-05-2005, 01:28 PM
just cant get it....going to take it too bmw....thanks for all the help...ill keep everyone poted on what it was and how much,,lol

High Compression II
11-05-2005, 02:12 PM
I have NEARLY exactly the same faults!

Windows dont work, got no sunroof so cant test that bit!, and wipers only high-speed. My interior lights work normally though, as does the central locking--Tried a general module from slightly older car, and the central locking then didnt work as well...........

If you find your faults PLEASE let us know!

Javier
11-05-2005, 02:13 PM
checking steps together for you tonight and see what we can find. If after that, you still have no clue, then use help from the stealer.

Do you have electrician skills? Know how to use a volt-meter? Ohm meter? Do you recognize electrical/electronic components?

In any case, I'll try to be as much specific as possible. Just give me tonight to work on it.

Javier

Interceptor
11-05-2005, 02:21 PM
checking steps together for you tonight and see what we can find. If after that, you still have no clue, then use help from the stealer.

Do you have electrician skills? Know how to use a volt-meter? Ohm meter? Do you recognize electrical/electronic components?

In any case, I'll try to be as much specific as possible. Just give me tonight to work on it.
Wow! Hats off to you, Javier! If you save him a couple hundred $$$ I hope he'll send you a nice gift :)

632 Regal
11-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Did you disconnect the battery before putting the new GM in?

LOL... I see what your saying here Bill, dont think anyone else can forsee this little tidbit.

drmmaster
11-05-2005, 02:41 PM
im fairly handy,,,javier..i should be able to handle what you give me as far as nfo...and yes i would be more than will to send him some compensation...for his efforts....

Javier
11-05-2005, 09:25 PM
See attached word document. Let us know how it went, and test results. Hopefully, this will tell us what is wrong.

Javier

drmmaster
11-05-2005, 10:36 PM
printing this info now....i will start on this..in the morning...please bear with me on the responce of this testing as it will be a huge pain in the butt...for me....as my back doors are locked and ill be doing this crouched down in the rear...lol...

shogun
11-06-2005, 12:23 AM
Great write-up again, Javier, as usual.
That makes me also understand the mysteries of electrics and electronics, which is my weak point.
Thanks again and keep on writing this good info.

Javier
11-06-2005, 08:16 AM
guess you are not.

To manually unlock rear doors, you can feed door actuators from RM socket connector once RM is unplugged.

For that, ground X259-13 and X259-14 and PULSE (do not keep connection in) with voltage from Battery + (12 Vdc) X259-1. This should pop up locks.

Javier

Edit: Included word "socket" to clarify

drmmaster
11-06-2005, 01:58 PM
i wasnt joking......but doors are OPEN now!!..with a little trial and error...one of these diagrams said x259 was white.....but i figured it out....so i will begin the other tests now....

Javier
11-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Find some years claiming it to be white, some others to be Black.

Javier

drmmaster
11-06-2005, 06:03 PM
just want to be very clear on this....when you say.....

Verify proper ground reference feeding to GM. For that, test continuity to ground from socket connector X255-13, or test continuity between X332-2 and X255-13. Resistance should be almost zero ohms.

first step of that..black wire on ohm meter grounded and red in x255-13?
second step..both wires from ohm meter in x332-2 and x255-13 respectivly...?..

just want to make for certian this is correct...cause im getting absolute 0...on meter...but i did notice some corrosion,,,any recomendations on cleaning the GM sockets...i was just going to blast em with contact cleaner...thought i would ask first...

Javier
11-06-2005, 06:19 PM
may be some one else could elaborate.

Yes the test probe procedures are correct. It is an or sentence, I mean either test is OK, both of them should be zero, and as long as X332-2 is properly grounded, to have good connection from X255-13 to X332-2 grounds the first properly.

Javier

Javier
11-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Javier

Javier
11-06-2005, 07:30 PM
behind this fault. Regret not to have known earlier.

Water cause heavy damage on electrical connections, especially if they are dissimilar materials. All grounding points on the car body, under the rear seat may be compromised, all fuse socket connections may be also corroded. connectors (Plug/sockets) may also be compromised. Think you need to put your hands in some Stabilant 22 contact conditioner, and remove, clean, and reconnect all wire connections, including those bolted to the car body.

Will see those pending test results to figure out what is the problem with GM/RM system, also, I was chasing only a major general issue, like a faulty ground or feeder, but once general operation is resumed, you may have isolated issues, related to a single pin contact not working, leading to faults like key holes not working, partial operation of locks, windows or wipers, or problems with interior lights. Socket connectors for GM and RM should all be conditioned properly. May be Keith can tell you about his experience doing so.

Also feel you will have to care on other systems and connections under the rear seat, as they may not be showing symptoms yet, but sure will in the future if you keep corrosion going under the seat.

Javier

drmmaster
11-06-2005, 08:28 PM
just saw you post about the chat room,..ill be there....anyway yes...the water im sure has somthing to do with the problems...but i also talked with the previos owner...he also told me the locks were having issues...as far as i can tell the water got just up too the rm and gm connectors...they dont look terrable...but i will try and get ahold of some of that Stabilant 22.....you wanna see somthing funny...ill post some pics of the old rm and gm,,,lol....thanks again for all your help...i will keep you posted as i progress

Bill R.
11-06-2005, 09:59 PM
contact cleaner its a contact enhancer, you have to have a clean connection first before treating with stabilant

may be some one else could elaborate.

Yes the test probe procedures are correct. It is an or sentence, I mean either test is OK, both of them should be zero, and as long as X332-2 is properly grounded, to have good connection from X255-13 to X332-2 grounds the first properly.

Javier

Javier
11-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Javier

drmmaster
11-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Javier.....im getting an instant click..on the power protect relay...when i turn the key?...that isnt correct is it?....also..found a blown fuse....that sits behind the whole entire GM RM housing....i took it loose today...and there it was...any idea what that was.....also got some contact cleaner....but i dont think thats going to cut it...im going to have to get somthing to stick down each hole....i will be in the chat room also if you are around....

Javier
11-07-2005, 07:43 PM
im getting an instant click..on the power protect relay...when i turn the key?...that isnt correct is it?....

That's OK.

found a blown fuse....that sits behind the whole entire GM RM housing....

Which one? You should have all them identified in one of the pictures linked in the word document.

i took it loose today...and there it was...any idea what that was.....

No idea what you mean, please remember english is not my fisrt languaje.

also got some contact cleaner....but i dont think thats going to cut it...im going to have to get somthing to stick down each hole....

to cut it? you mean there is heavy dirt in the contacts, plugging/unplugging repeatedly after spraying cleaner may help

i will be in the chat room also if you are around....

Sorry, was in traffic, arrived home about 10 minutes ago.

Javier