PDA

View Full Version : Just returned from the SEMA Show

Springfield1952
11-03-2005, 05:25 PM
I spent the last two days at the high church for testostrone-filled, car loving males - the SEMA Show in Las Vegas. There is over 2,000,000 square feet of exhibit space with 9,000 exhibitors of automotive parts and accessories. My aching dogs!

The most impressive exhibit was the Ford GT that had be sawn in half and you could walk through the center of the car. The cutting was perfect and went through the dash instruments, screws were cut in half and the entire transmission was a wonder of split gears and synchros. Way cool.

The most unusual display was in the OverHaulin' exhibit where they are filming an episode of the TV show. The work is being done in a big tent structure with an army of workers busy on various parts of the project car. One guy from BF Goodrich tires was hand carving a custom tread pattern in a blank tire casing. When I saw him yesterday he had finished one tire and was about half through the second tire. Since Mopar was one of the sponsers, the Mopar M logo was a key element of the design he was carving.

There was a new water pump for e34 BMW's that was shown. I spent some time talking with their engineers and I'll post some information tomorrow when I dig out the notes I took.

I'll try to post some photos tomorrow.

Curt.

McWatters
11-03-2005, 10:21 PM
cooooool

cheers

J.McWatters

dacoyote
11-03-2005, 10:33 PM
/me drools.....

shragon
11-03-2005, 11:10 PM
niiice...

picture time!!

Alexlind123
11-04-2005, 09:53 AM
I spent the last two days at the high church for testostrone-filled, car loving males - the SEMA Show in Las Vegas. There is over 2,000,000 square feet of exhibit space with 9,000 exhibitors of automotive parts and accessories. My aching dogs!

The most impressive exhibit was the Ford GT that had be sawn in half and you could walk through the center of the car. The cutting was perfect and went through the dash instruments, screws were cut in half and the entire transmission was a wonder of split gears and synchros. Way cool.

The most unusual display was in the OverHaulin' exhibit where they are filming an episode of the TV show. The work is being done in a big tent structure with an army of workers busy on various parts of the project car. One guy from BF Goodrich tires was hand carving a custom tread pattern in a blank tire casing. When I saw him yesterday he had finished one tire and was about half through the second tire. Since Mopar was one of the sponsers, the Mopar M logo was a key element of the design he was carving.

There was a new water pump for e34 BMW's that was shown. I spent some time talking with their engineers and I'll post some information tomorrow when I dig out the notes I took.

I'll try to post some photos tomorrow.

Curt.

Did i read the correctly? They really showed a new water pump for BMW e34's at this autoshow? As in the bmw we all drive, built from ~1989-~1996? If so, i commend BMW for backing up their products for a long time...

Springfield1952
11-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Did i read the correctly? They really showed a new water pump for BMW e34's at this autoshow? As in the bmw we all drive, built from ~1989-~1996? If so, i commend BMW for backing up their products for a long time...

Actually, the pump was not from BMW but from Stewart Components, a manufacturer based in Michigan. It fits all M50/M52/M54 engines and has a 15% flow increase, stainless steel impeller, beefier bearings with less parasitic drag than other pumps. It should be available later this year and the MSRP is $195.00. Their site is www.stewartcomponents.com.

Interestingly, none of the European car companies exhibit at SEMA. All the American and Japanese have exhibits but none of the Europeans. Of course Volvo is now in the Ford booth and SAAB is in with GM. Volvo had a concept roadster at the show, sort of a Volvo version of the Prowler. Considering their staid reputation a hot rod roadster seems a bit of a stretch.

Curt.

callen
11-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Was there Wed and at Aapex on Thursday....lots of Bling Bling

Springfield1952
11-04-2005, 02:42 PM
Was there Wed and at Aapex on Thursday....lots of Bling Bling

If you went to the South Hall lower level and saw the wheel exhibitors . . . some of the fugliest things on earth. Jewel encrusted 24" wheels for that over the top, mondo bling look.

Curt.