PDA

View Full Version : e39 vs. 1999ish a6

kyleN20
11-03-2005, 05:11 PM
im looking to move on up in this world, and im in between a a6, or a 528i or somthing to that tune, i assume you will be biasad on this board, but hopefully you will have a few valid points, like this

a6: AWSOME rear end
528i:its a bmw

thanks, there both about the same price, so this will be a hard choice

Zeuk in Oz
11-03-2005, 05:21 PM
im looking to move on up in this world, and im in between a a6, or a 528i or somthing to that tune, i assume you will be biasad on this board, but hopefully you will have a few valid points, like this

Have driven 2002 A6 - I presume it is the same model - underwhelming. Even the exhaust note sounded like a Toyota. I would also have some doubts about relaibility.
I would go with the E 39 every time. Have driven them and like them.
By the way, you got it right - I am one eyed on this matter.
At the end of the day it is your choice ! :D

Eric Clark
11-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Timing belt if a real pain on the A6. Entire front end has to come apart down back to the engine.(bumper, radiator....) My girlfriends mother has one and it did not require much work till it hit 90k this summer and needed the timing belt changed and power steering leak fixed. It has one of the most beautiful interiors IMO and the car really shines as a wagon. Go drive both and see which feels right to you.

Incantation
11-03-2005, 08:14 PM
audi sux

Torque
11-03-2005, 08:31 PM
audi suxSuch good reasoning and explanation. Such a lengthy post must have taken your hours to write.

Audi has excellent interiors; I like the exterior on the model you are looking at very much. Maybe more than e39's. As for reliability, I really have no idea, but my mom drives a '96 A6 2.8 12v -- 112k and it runs like a champ. Only problem we have had with it so far is the EGR valve got clogged up.

My family has owned tons of Audis over the years, and not one had any major issues -- but then again, all those were the older Audis and not the new electronic-loaded ones.

dacoyote
11-03-2005, 08:47 PM
The new ones suck... just like the new BMW's.....

Dave M
11-03-2005, 09:37 PM
audi sux

I'd like you to meet......

The new ones suck... just like the new BMW's.....

:D

Incantation
11-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Such a lengthy post must have taken your hours to write.

yea about as many hours as you have studied english usage/spelling..

Incantation
11-03-2005, 09:58 PM
pleased to meet u

Qube
11-03-2005, 10:48 PM
All right guys, let's keep this civil.

I'd go with the e39. I have heard more maintanence headaches with the A's than the e39s. In my opinion, the A6 is not much more than a pretty wrapping.

dacoyote
11-03-2005, 10:51 PM
pleased to meet u

whats up homz....

dacoyote
11-03-2005, 10:52 PM
funny... but not a needed post....

Torque
11-03-2005, 11:08 PM
yea about as many hours as you have studied english usage/spelling.. I'm foreign.

English usage ? As far as I can tell, I am using it. Not only that, but I am using it better than you. You are trying to talk **** about my post, with a post that has no capitalization or punctuation. Good job. Spelling ? Please point out a word I misspelled.

Thanks.

dacoyote
11-03-2005, 11:13 PM
Torque,

Don't worry about it man.... you have better english skills then I do... according to word you don't have a word misspelled either....

Charles

kyleN20
11-03-2005, 11:34 PM
i am looking and looking, and i cant see a e39 looking better then a a6, and the interior looks better also, theres 3 engine choices as far as i can tell, a 2.8 N/A, a 2.7 bi turbo, and a 4.2 v8, i think i would try to look for the 2.7 turbo, the 2.8 looks like it had a few problems. e39 wise i would try to look for a 528i, but they look so bland and the ass is not nearly as fine, nor is the interior.

i dono, tough choice

Springfield1952
11-04-2005, 01:37 AM
I don't have any recent info but when I looked into buying a A6 a couple of years ago the lousy reliability scared me off. It seems there are lots of really new A4/A6's always for sale. Caveat emptor. Good luck.

Curt.

Martin in Bellevue
11-04-2005, 01:50 AM
The guy next door is on his second allroad. The interior is very well designed. This one has the strong v8. His earlier one was the twin turbo v6, somehow very underwhelming. I imagine some chip tuning could do wonders with the turbos.
The allroad has had continual radio problems. The power to the radio craps every couple of months. The dealer resets something & apologizes for the next time it will happen. The alternator on the v8 had to be replaced recently; this is a hella-scary job. The entire front end was removed, including the bumper, core support, radiator, & condenser. There is no room to change a belt, water pump or anything else hanging off the front of that motor.
I wouldn't care to maintain that audi. At the same time, I don't enjoy maintaining the v8 x5; it can have surprisingly tight quarters.

ra_pro
11-04-2005, 11:55 AM

I recently leased a 01 Saab 95 Aero, not nearly as refined as the bimmer, but loads of fun and it grows on you. You can get one really cheap but check out the 'saabnet.com' as the threre are some reliabilty issues but a lot less than with Audi.

Incantation
11-04-2005, 03:45 PM
i already did buddy:

Such a lengthy post must have taken your hours to write.

"your" ? anyway this is stupid. it was a joke and you should take things less seriously. thanks in advance for not replying to this post.

dacoyote
11-04-2005, 07:33 PM
i already did buddy:

"your" ? anyway this is stupid. it was a joke and you should take things less seriously. thanks in advance for not replying to this post.

Darn.... :-)

kyleN20
11-06-2005, 02:47 PM
cool, but if i went saab id get a 9-3, thanks