PDA

View Full Version : Great socket set

DaCan23
11-03-2005, 12:06 PM
So this set was in my shipment that I got yesterday in addition to other things and the nitrile gloves Bill did not warn me about ;-)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44808

I was verrry impressed with it, especially for the price. Not sure what the sears cost would be since their sets contain wrenchs & stuff I already have. But it basically has every socket I'll ever need 204 pieces.

Heavy as hell and comes in a nice case.

632 Regal
11-03-2005, 12:26 PM
LOTS of 6 point sockets! thats whats the best part

dacoyote
11-03-2005, 12:31 PM
wonder how long they will last....

I like taking my craftsman sockets back to the store.... at least a couple a year....

DaCan23
11-03-2005, 01:22 PM
I have many tools of many qualities; craftsman, harbor freight, depot/lowes, and K-mart, and one super cheap set I wont even tell you where I bought it (Just used to keep in the E24)

I'd rank these as good as the normal craftsman stuff. Limited lifetime warranty... has anyone dealt with lifetime warranty stuff from Harbor, how is it?

Rigmaster
11-03-2005, 01:41 PM
I have many tools of many qualities; craftsman, harbor freight, depot/lowes, and K-mart, and one super cheap set I wont even tell you where I bought it (Just used to keep in the E24)

I'd rank these as good as the normal craftsman stuff. Limited lifetime warranty... has anyone dealt with lifetime warranty stuff from Harbor, how is it?

Well, the "lifetime" HF warranty is handled differently depending on which employee you speak with. I tried to return a broken 17mm impact socket that broke the first time I tried to use it- and it was not under any sort of high torque situation- it broke while loosening an E30 lug bolt with a 1/2" breaker bar.

The retail store employee I spoke to said that they did not sell single impact sockets any longer, so I would have to ship it back to HF and they should send me another one. I asked the manager to confirm this, and he told me to get a socket assortment off the shelf that had the one I needed- he took the new 17mm impact socket out of the set and handed it to me, and told the cashier to put the rest of the set in with the defective stuff. I asked him if he got credit for the defective parts, and he said that they would just mark it down and sell it with 1 socket missing. He then asked me if I wanted the set with the 17mm "missing".....for $6 (HF cost for the set)!!! I took it- so now I have a set with 1 17mm missing, and a NEW complete set of impact sockets- and none of the others have broken yet.

YMMV

Bret.

DaCan23
11-03-2005, 04:10 PM
So.... until HF gets a store in new England... ship broken things to you? LOL Actually I saw an ad once that was a traveling tool flea market type thing, that I swear was HF stuff, didnt make it to the local weekend stop, and it said also Help Wanted, so maybe they are comin to this area.

How the heck did an impact socket break 1st time from a breaker bar use? not a impact air driver...

632 Regal
11-03-2005, 08:30 PM
some of these things are cast at different places with different materials and no quality control, I kept breaking the same size socket a while back and none of the others ever broke...but it sucked because it put my project on hold...I bought that socket from a different store and Im good to go.

So.... until HF gets a store in new England... ship broken things to you? LOL Actually I saw an ad once that was a traveling tool flea market type thing, that I swear was HF stuff, didnt make it to the local weekend stop, and it said also Help Wanted, so maybe they are comin to this area.

How the heck did an impact socket break 1st time from a breaker bar use? not a impact air driver...

Kalevera
11-03-2005, 08:38 PM

Because they're painted POS, low quality, low tolerance tools.

best, whit

632 Regal
11-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Because they're painted POS, low quality, low tolerance tools.

best, whit

You own Tonka exclusivly?

dacoyote
11-03-2005, 08:50 PM
You own Tonka exclusivly?

LOL....

I used to have a bunch of the old steel ones....

Bill R.
11-03-2005, 08:57 PM
return 2 or 3 dead blow hammers a year to them with no problems.. I can't speak for the sockets because the only sockets of theirs i have are 1/2 impact and 3/4 impact... I'm kind of a snob regarding sockets and use primarily my snap on, craftsmen and proto.. in that category.. the stuff i buy harbor freight is things like punch sets, pipe taps, dead blow hammers, anvils, vises, big things that can't be screwed up easily. Where strength really counts like thinwall sockets and thinwall wrenches then the snap on and craftsmen pro stuff pays off... but if I had to start over and buy everything today then its not likely that i would buy as much snap on as i did in the past. At any rate I have never had a problem returning a part for warranty to harbor freight.