PDA

View Full Version : Rear windows electrical problem...

Mike L.
11-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Anybody every have their rear windows lower on their own? Halloween just passed, maybe it's possessed??? Wife was driving on the highway and they both lower half way.

It happened 2 more times today. One window all the way down, the other half way??

Any ideas would be greatly appeciated. I noticed the controls will stick and slamming the rear door will "unstick" it. But this is weird...

Thanks,
Mike

Interceptor
11-03-2005, 07:09 AM
Anybody every have their rear windows lower on their own? Halloween just passed, maybe it's possessed??? Wife was driving on the highway and they both lower half way.

It happened 2 more times today. One window all the way down, the other half way??

Any ideas would be greatly appeciated. I noticed the controls will stick and slamming the rear door will "unstick" it. But this is weird...
Disconnect the both rear door window switches and the 4-way window switch block in the center console, disassemble them (it requires only a small flat screwdriver) by prying off the top and clean the contacts inside - you can also inspect if the lightbulbs are OK and you may also lube it up with WD-40 or something similar. Also clean the connectors before reattaching the switches back.

Bill R.
11-03-2005, 08:23 AM
one touch down on all windows etc.. I would disconnect the battery for a half hour or so to clear the general module of any errors and reconnect to see if that takes care of it. If no one has pressed down the switches on the center console then a sticky switch would not cause. You'll need to have the radio code before you disconnect the battery so you don't lose the radio function.

Thanks,
Mike

shogun
11-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Exactly, the GM is giving the orders. On my website there is this nice training program for ZKE for service technicians, ZKE = German for central chassis electrics. Unfortunately only in German language. But if you can read a little bit function diagrams, this will help:
http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/erich/zke/bild11.jpg

Mike L.
11-03-2005, 09:13 AM
I'll disconnect battery first...wait...and reconnect. Since this is an intermittent problem I might not know for a week or two if clearing the GM solves it.

The time between "possessions" has slowly increased. Once it happened during the drying cycle of the touch-free carwash, months go by, then in the driveway, weeks pass, then twice yesterday on the road...Scared the bageezus out of the wifey, bu the 10month old slept through it!!!

Thanks for the help.

-MJL

Mike L.
11-05-2005, 04:33 PM
So I disconnected the battery as Bill R. suggested. Left it for 45 minutes, reconnected. The lovely wife was driving to grocery store, both windows lowered all the way...

Does this mean the general module is dying? Would removing it and reseating it do anything? I read posts about cleaning the contacts, but I would think that would fix an inoperative switch, not one that has a mind of its own...

This whole thing is kind of funny. Knock on wood...not yet pulling my hair out.

What would a new GM cost, assuming that's the recommendation?

Thanks to the board for the helpful advice.

-MJL

PS Go Hokies...