PDA

View Full Version : Vibration around 50-60 mph.

HDhandyman
11-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Hey guys,

I'm having strange problems. My car is vibrating (steering and feet) between 50-60 mph then everything is fine again. Anybody know what this could be?

Thanks,

Stephen

peks
11-02-2005, 04:35 PM
could be thrust arm bushings, center bearing, guibo(if you have one), lot of other things. do a search. also i think i remember billr or someone asking if you feel it in the floor or through your seat as a way to identify the prob.

Russell
11-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Check the archives. Typical problem on our cars. If you are in Lexington, Ky as I think you are. Motorsports can fix you up. Call Curt Richards-owner at 859-259-2801. They are reasonable, honest and a bit cheaper than the dealer.

I need to do the same. Good luck!

HDhandyman
11-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Yep, Archives are once again, treasure trove. I tried every thing from vibration to shudder. who knew it was called the 50-60 shimmy. I think there's more than enough info here to help me solve the problem. Thanks gang!

Badkrma
11-02-2005, 07:27 PM
I just came to have the same problem after doing a tire rotation. Changed them back and bang, problem gone. Cupping issue in the tires in my bet. Also, check the balance in the tires and for a bent rim.

Stephen

Incantation
11-03-2005, 12:56 AM
do a search

someone asks about this every week

DueyT
11-03-2005, 01:47 AM
Yup, thrust arms, control arms, sway links, hubcentric rings and last but not least...tires that go out of round after a while (Dunlop 'eggs' especially).

Cheers,
Duey

kidlat
11-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Just wondering if you guys change rims eitheir upgrade with new BMW OEM wheels or aftermartket wheels. If you did you will need a Hubcentric converter kit.
If you are still using your stock wheels check the condition of your front Hubs.

632 Regal
11-03-2005, 08:14 PM
hmm...interesting angle, I'll check into that on my car.

;)

Just wondering if you guys change rims eitheir upgrade with new BMW OEM wheels or aftermartket wheels. If you did you will need a Hubcentric converter kit.
If you are still using your stock wheels check the condition of your front Hubs.

dacoyote
11-03-2005, 08:35 PM
Lol

632 Regal
11-04-2005, 01:55 AM
to answer your answer with another question i DO HAVE Cingular, you know that dude that walks around saying "can you hear me now?" anyways my cingular must be a counterfeit example even tho I pay cingular direct... is there any ways that not using the plastic hub cenering kit would cause this instead of the aluminum rings that bond them selves to the rims could be the problem? I currently have the plastic ones and think they are the problem with the reception.

TIA Everyone

peks
11-04-2005, 11:56 AM
to answer your answer with another question i DO HAVE Cingular, you know that dude that walks around saying "can you hear me now?" anyways my cingular must be a counterfeit example even tho I pay cingular direct... is there any ways that not using the plastic hub cenering kit would cause this instead of the aluminum rings that bond them selves to the rims could be the problem? I currently have the plastic ones and think they are the problem with the reception.

TIA Everyone

This could very well be the problem as you may know plastic is not a very good conductor of elecricity. the best solution i have heard though is to use titanium hucentirc rings AND move to a location close to a cell tower and for a little added reception bolt an 18' cb antenna to you rear bumper with a bungee cord from the top of it to you front bumper to keep it from electrocuting you when you go under a power line unless you get a non-conducting rubber one in which case it will not work very well anyway

632 Regal
11-04-2005, 12:52 PM
I dont know why I didnt think about this before...im dead certain its cause of the plastic ring things. Where do I get them titanium ones at? Internet didnt come up with any part numbers and tire rack dont have any in stock, say their back ordered.

This could very well be the problem as you may know plastic is not a very good conductor of elecricity. the best solution i have heard though is to use titanium hucentirc rings AND move to a location close to a cell tower and for a little added reception bolt an 18' cb antenna to you rear bumper with a bungee cord from the top of it to you front bumper to keep it from electrocuting you when you go under a power line unless you get a non-conducting rubber one in which case it will not work very well anyway

dacoyote
11-04-2005, 12:59 PM

TIA Everyone

Jeff..... the annoying "Can You Hear Me Now" guy is verizon.... Cingular has the little retared X thing...

If you use metal rings.. I would suggest lubing them up first so they don't rust to the rims.. but are still sticky....

Charles

/unsure if I am missing some joke in Jeff's post.....its hard to read....