PDA

View Full Version : 95 540i shaking at idle

ra_pro
11-02-2005, 09:58 AM
My car is shaking at idle. I have had this since I bought the car 4 years ago. It's not too bad but it is noticable. I tought if I changed the engine mounts it would cure it. Finally this week I asked my mechanic to do that. He told me however that the mounts were fine and didn't need replacement, only one bolt was loose and he tightened it. This improved the shaking a bit but it's still there. Is there something else that can cause this besides the nikasil block failure? Otherwise the engine seems fine and I know that there is a certain amount of natural "rocking" in this engine but I feel that this shouldn't be felt in the cabin or should it?

DueyT
11-02-2005, 12:29 PM
I get some rocking at idle and especially a little bit more at 1800-2000rpm. I have the engine mounts to replace with all the other bits I got from BMA, but I think the engines still have a natural tendancy to rock a bit at lower rpm. It's funny what some people call "rocking"....the 7.2L V-8 in my Charger "rocks", figuratively and literally...it has a torque-down chain to keep from ripping its mounts...it rocks at idle (http://www3.sympatico.ca/dnatown/440.au)... :D

MBXB
11-02-2005, 12:53 PM
My Nikasil M60 has had that rocking idle since I bought it at 50Kmi. I took it back when still under warranty, and the stealer tried the engine mount thing, the O2 sensors, temp sensors till he finally ran out of things to fix/diagnose. They even said it was 'cause the m60 had a "hot cam". Yeahh.. right!!
Approaching 150Kmi now and it's still there. Mine smooths out as soon as rpm > idle.

Cambridge
11-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Are there any codes being set in the ECU? Check engine light on?

DueyT
11-02-2005, 02:27 PM
This is right about the time of year when the PVC/cyclone valve or the intake gaskets starte to show up if they're on their way out...air leaking in downstream from the MAF will cause some rough running at idle...

Cheers,
Duey

632 Regal
11-02-2005, 02:35 PM
exactly! Mine just stalled a couple times, then I reset the computer so it was used to the leak til I could fix it...the intake gaskets were totally squashed compared to the new ones.

ps. nice song!

This is right about the time of year when the PVC/cyclone valve or the intake gaskets starte to show up if they're on their way out...air leaking in downstream from the MAF will cause some rough running at idle...

Cheers,
Duey