PDA

View Full Version : '89 525a Bronzit paint problems

Gene in NC
11-02-2005, 01:46 AM
Paint looks like it has scratches. Lotta scratches. Helluva lot of very fine scratches.

My body shop says that the clear coat scratches are really cracks. Also said the bronzit is really a sliver with additional color added and that silver has weak resistance to sun created cracking/fading. Fading on hood. Cracking on all other horizontal or approaching horizontal surfaces.

Have heard some say that there is no real cure for problems with this paint.

Can it be improved by detailing? Can it be fixed than $1k. If it takes $3k the car becomes a drive til it drops because $3k would double the cost and have a recovery value of maybe $500.

uscharalph
11-02-2005, 02:22 AM
Paint looks like it has scratches. Lotta scratches. Helluva lot of very fine scratches.

My body shop says that the clear coat scratches are really cracks. Also said the bronzit is really a sliver with additional color added and that silver has weak resistance to sun created cracking/fading. Fading on hood. Cracking on all other horizontal or approaching horizontal surfaces.

Have heard some say that there is no real cure for problems with this paint.

Can it be improved by detailing? Can it be fixed than $1k. If it takes $3k the car becomes a drive til it drops because $3k would double the cost and have a recovery value of maybe $500.
Clay Bar?

Qube
11-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Spend a bit and get it clay'd, polished and sealed. Repeat every quarter and you'll be good. Of course, a picture of what it looks like now would help.

Have a look http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14212

mjradin
11-02-2005, 01:10 PM
It is a paint defect. Below clearcoat and not removable by detailing. I have learned to love (or at least lice with) it. Makes the car more low key.