PDA

View Full Version : Squirrely 535i

nealf
03-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Hi my '90 535i auto has developed a real squirrely feel on the road and I find myself motioning the steering wheel from side to side and really working it. I know I need the thrust arms and have a set with 750 bushings ready to go. My question is what am I experiencing? Thanks.

Tiger
03-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Check tire pressure

Unregistered
03-06-2004, 04:09 AM
Hope it hasnt got servotronic steering, i have been told that the box on mine is shot, it displays the same symptoms and will cost £1000, still not sure whether this is true or not. I'm trying to find a cheaper way round that if poss but havent had any positive results on my posted thread.
As always check the easier things first.
Good luck.

jplacson
03-06-2004, 08:09 AM
what's servotronic steering? how can you tell?

Tiger
03-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Get second opinion... that are alot of steering components that will go bad before the box... box is always the last thing. You could have a bad/broken steering flex disc that is designed to break during accident so the steering wheel don't crush you.

Warren N.CA
03-06-2004, 11:28 AM
There is some info on the link www.bmwe34.net and there are old posts from George Mann that exquistitely detail the process. Certainly, you should also replace all worn front end components, as well.

Hi my '90 535i auto has developed a real squirrely feel on the road and I find myself motioning the steering wheel from side to side and really working it. I know I need the thrust arms and have a set with 750 bushings ready to go. My question is what am I experiencing? Thanks.

Super90
03-06-2004, 07:21 PM
Really worn out rear pitman arms will also make the car handle real strangely too, especially in the wet. It seems to steer itself, but, from the rear end. Those are cheap parts from BMA and easy to R&R. I would replace them along with the control arms as they seem to die about the same time. You certainly won't do any harm and the car will handle better regardless.

But, do make sure all the front end stuff is sort out first, then look at these.

632 Regal
03-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Really worn out rear pitman arms will also make the car handle real strangely too, especially in the wet. It seems to steer itself, but, from the rear end. Those are cheap parts from BMA and easy to R&R. I would replace them along with the control arms as they seem to die about the same time. You certainly won't do any harm and the car will handle better regardless.

But, do make sure all the front end stuff is sort out first, then look at these.