PDA

View Full Version : anyone notice BMA getting a bit more expensive....

ryan roopnarine
11-01-2005, 12:01 PM
and i don't mean in general. i understand that prices on parts from anywhere (autozone, advance auto, kragen, et cetera) are going up. it just seems that in the last little while, the prices quoted over the phone are the same as the internet prices (even with patrick and yves, who know my name). the last time I got a break was about a month ago (4 transmission mounts) for about 12% off the internet prices. the last two orders i've made have had prices as high as the internet cost or even slightly higher in some cases. it certainly doesn't mean i have any intentions of not buying from them, it just means i'll be taking a look at ebay before i make any purchases (i didn't think it was worth my while anymore, as their prices were generally worth the slight extra you'd pay to purchase something from a storefront).

Hallmark
11-01-2005, 12:10 PM
I needed parts to do brake jobs on two of my Bimmers. I had my order all laid out on the BMA website. I called them and was told to just use the online order form and I would get free shipping.
Just out of curiosity I clicked on the ad for eGermanparts.com at the top of this page. They had the exact same parts, from the same manufactureres, for an average of 10% less than BMA. They also gave me free shipping. I received my order in three days and the service was first rate.
I never thought I would prefer anyone over BMA, but lately...

Eric Clark
11-01-2005, 01:00 PM
I called and they told me to order online or I would not get free shipping. Their quotes were aucually a bit higher then online as well but said they would match the online price. Go figure...

I needed parts to do brake jobs on two of my Bimmers. I had my order all laid out on the BMA website. I called them and was told to just use the online order form and I would get free shipping.
Just out of curiosity I clicked on the ad for eGermanparts.com at the top of this page. They had the exact same parts, from the same manufactureres, for an average of 10% less than BMA. They also gave me free shipping. I received my order in three days and the service was first rate.
I never thought I would prefer anyone over BMA, but lately...

callen
11-01-2005, 01:40 PM
BMA had best price on my last order couple weeks ago. Additionally have built up a relationship with them that I do value....you know I know what I'll get and they'll take care of me if something happens. Don't diss them too much here...they did start a good thing and made owning BMW's affordable.

Interceptor
11-01-2005, 04:18 PM
BMA had best price on my last order couple weeks ago. Additionally have built up a relationship with them that I do value....you know I know what I'll get and they'll take care of me if something happens. Don't diss them too much here...they did start a good thing and made owning BMW's affordable.
Well, we all work for money, why is it so strange when people don't want to pay more if they don't have to? If BMA wants to keep their reputation as the cheapest place for BMW parts, they better do something about their prices.

DaCan23
11-01-2005, 04:28 PM
I know I could get free shippin online. But my system w/ Pat is easier & more personal. I email him ?s on what I need or might need. We trade emails back & forth on options. Then I say ship it, and dont need to give him any info, and it arrives always quickly.

I go to them first and usually last cause what I'm quoted, seems good enough for me. I learned my lesson w/ my ignition barrell, to ask them even if I'm not sure if they can get it. They can get stuff like that and it would of saved me like $25.

Bottomline though, anytime I have an issue/question, the service from Patrick is flawless, therefore priceless.

Derek A.
11-01-2005, 04:47 PM
Like anyone else - costs are going up. Shipment - fuel etc. I don't see this stuff getting any cheaper in the near future.

Interceptor
11-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Like anyone else - costs are going up. Shipment - fuel etc. I don't see this stuff getting any cheaper in the near future.
Yeah, I only hope we will still be able to drive our cars in 10 years or so... If anything, I hope at least this forum will be online so we can all weep together. :)

Eric Clark
11-01-2005, 05:17 PM
The guys on roadfly told me to talk to Partick and what to say. He gave me a deal that beat e german parts. Lesson learned- when you call ask for Partick, if he is not ther call back when he is.

BTW I am not dissing BMA. I have little money so I make the most of what I have an price talks. They may have made owning BMWs affordable but if someone makes them more affordable to own then I will do business with them. As long a Patrick keeps having the lowest price he has my business.

ryan roopnarine
11-01-2005, 07:36 PM
i didn't have the "words" to express my concern before.
i love the resource they provide. i've made 3 orders with them in the past 5 weeks.
but i realised something in the hours that have passed since i made the first post. my concern is not with them raising their prices, or not giving as deep a discount as they might have in years past, its that several items i KNOW in years past have been cheaper at bma are now at parity with dealership prices (when one factors in the s+h), and not just petty things like fasteners. I wanted to buy a temp sensor the other week.....bma was only $3 cheaper (they had two brands of sensor, of which the cheaper brand was not in stock), and at parity with the dealer whne you factor in shipping. some things.....like oil filters are still outrageously expensive at the dealer (no one is going to pay $9.xx for a m50 oil filter), but it would seem like the dealer is "absorbing" inflation into their prices by NOT raising them. someone suggested that i was "dissing" them.....im really not. both patrick and yves know my name, and usually give me a great deal and excellent service. its just that, i guess, i've been making too many trips to the dealer for stuff lately, and it manifested itself in me finally complaining in this manner.

Kalevera
11-01-2005, 07:46 PM
I can only speculate, but I bet that their cost on things from WorldPac/SSF (if they use SSF, who knows) are rising in concert with dealer prices. Haven't noticed anything myself, but I get most of my stuff from the dealer these days, anyway.

best, whit

Jeff N.
11-01-2005, 08:58 PM
...for a while.

I once asked Patrick if they tracked the lifetime purchases of a customer. When he said "yes" I told him never, ever share that information with me lest he loose me as a customer forever.

Jeff / with several inch think binder of parts receipts.

shogun
11-01-2005, 09:25 PM
So you say, that they give better prices than the ones online, if you call them?
That is a bit unfair for buyers from overseas.
In addition it is an dis-advantage, that the online vendors in general offer free shipping within the US, but not overseas.
That is understandable.
But why do they not deduct some amount if someone orders fro overseas with high shippping cost? Because they save the free dometic shipping cost.
I usually buy at autohausaz.
Can someome tell me BTW, how much the following would have cost Autohaus to ship free within USA:

Net value of the parts was $ 181.00, grosst weight 8 lb., oz. 14.42.

Postage USA-Japan was exactly 29.00 $ only, instead of much more by DHL or FedEx.
Order was shipped from Arizona on October 25, arrival here October 31.

If I know that, I will send an email to Autohaus Arizona, to deduct the domestic shipping cost from the actutal overseas shipping cost. Fair enough, I believe.

That are their 'rules':

FREE UPS Ground Shipping!
You receive FREE UPS Ground shipping for all 48 State Contiguous USA orders where your parts total is at least $50 (excluding cores). Should you wish to upgrade to a faster UPS service (i.e., 3-Day, 2-Day Blue or Overnight Red), you will only be charged for the difference between UPS Ground and the selected shipping method - still a great deal for you!

For our valued customers in Alaska and Hawaii, you will receive freight credit equal to the value of UPS Ground (Zone 8) against your UPS freight charges so you'll only pay the difference between (Zone 8) UPS Ground and your actual Ground, UPS Blue or Red charges.

Shipments via any method other than UPS and orders shipped outside the USA do not qualify for this free freight program.

genphreak
11-01-2005, 10:29 PM
So you say, that they give better prices than the ones online, if you call them? That is a bit unfair for buyers from overseas. That is correct Erich. It's a mentality. I find US vendors don't like trading Internationally, they feel it risky as they get 'so easily ripped' by online sharks. On eBay a lot of US vendors (especially wreckers) even refuse to sell outside the US altogether and eBay encourages this kind of 'discrimination' by limiting searches on its overseas sites so that these people miss out on seeing what these vendors (don't) wish to sell to them.

I would have thought they'd be just as easily ripped by US purchasers: It really isn't a big risk selling to a reputed eBay purchaser when you already have the money in your account... anyway.. just thought I'd tell ya as I know how u feel. I buy from FCP Groton (carefully) as they ship for UPS Airmail rates and quote fast via email like BMA. I love your autohaus site, but their allegiance to EMS (Global Express Mail) makes us pay a huge premium for freight and their site often calculatus it incorrectly, which they will ever so nicely 'correct at their end' by re-charging your credit card prior to shipping).

I don't like that kind of stuff. I wish BMA had their online systems better maintained from a pricing perspective, if I buy from them I call after I mail my requirements, it always helps.

But they still charge a premium to ship internationally on top of the US price that includes free shipping. It's understandable, as they have to do customs forms, but they charge too much.

I still would rather pay a 'Declaration or Administration fee' than have so much ambiguity over shipping costs...

:) Nick

shogun
11-01-2005, 11:50 PM
For our valued customers in Alaska and Hawaii, you will receive freight credit equal to the value of UPS Ground (Zone 8) against your UPS freight charges so you'll only pay the difference between (Zone 8) UPS Ground and your actual Ground, UPS Blue or Red charges.

That is the point in their official online documents! Why only "our valued customers in Alaska and Hawai?

And again my question: how much would be the credit be for the parcel I mentioned above by deducting freight credit equal to the value of UPS ground (Zone 8)?

genphreak
11-02-2005, 12:04 AM
That is the point in their official online documents! Why only "our valued customers in Alaska and Hawai?

And again my question: how much would be the credit be for the parcel I mentioned above by deducting freight credit equal to the value of UPS ground (Zone 8)?Exactly NIL Erich, they don't value us. I had an $800 USD order for them and they are nice guys to deal with but they wouldn't verify my credit card, so the order went to FCP who did... and the shipping was under half the price! Their loss...

632 Regal
11-02-2005, 10:07 AM
I sent him the link and here is his reply:

Jeff,

I really appreciate you contacting me about this. I can honestly say that I am a bit taken by it. I'm not really sure what to say except that we really do try and save everyone as much money as possible. We also price match anytime someone does find something cheaper. When people call and place the order over the phone, we basically quote things off our cost. It just happens that in some case our quoted prices will be higher than what our website price is (usually parts under $20.00). I can probably go on and on about why these things happen but basically the bottom line is that we will price match and we do offer the "DOTINFO" coupon code for orders placed over the website. We would like the BMA experience to feel a little more personal than just ordering parts from a parts store. We appreciate every order we get and don't take anything for granted.

Anyways, I do appreciate you running this by me. I guess all I can say is that if anyone is ever dissatisfied with anything here at BMA, just have them talk to me and I will see what I can do about it. I do not want anyone purchasing from us and not being completely satisfied about it.

Thanks again,

Patrick

JoeS
11-02-2005, 10:31 AM
The US dollar just does not have the purchasing power it used too. I watch exchanges rates daily and the US dollar has been on a downward track for quite sometime. I doubt that international vendors have had huge prices increases, it is just that it takes more of our currency to purchase their items. As long as the US has a staggering deficit that continues to grow like bacteria on a rotten corpse, the US dollar is going to tank. Fuel prices and the chinese buying up every piece of steel they can get their hands on in the global market does not help either.

Bill R.
11-02-2005, 10:33 AM
The US dollar just does not have the purchasing power it used too. I watch exchanges rates daily and the US dollar has been on a downward track for quite sometime. I doubt that international vendors have had huge prices increases, it is just that it takes more of our currency to purchase their items. As long as the US has a staggering deficit that continues to grow like bacteria on a rotten corpse, the US dollar is going to tank. Fuel prices and the chinese buying up every piece of steel they can get their hands on in the global market does not help either.

Scott H
11-02-2005, 11:27 AM
the grin usually turns to tears after I hang up the phone.....

...for a while.

I once asked Patrick if they tracked the lifetime purchases of a customer. When he said "yes" I told him never, ever share that information with me lest he loose me as a customer forever.

Jeff / with several inch think binder of parts receipts.

Scott H
11-02-2005, 11:33 AM
It has taken quite a while for this to catch up to the prices that we are given lately for a number of reasons. A big reason is that the current stock of the parts we have been buying were bought during times when fuel, shipping, exchange rates, etc etc were all more favorable. Now that that supply is being depleted, we are working our way in to inventories that cost more. Anyone we buy from cannot afford to eat these costs as many things they are selling already have extremely low margins. Get used to it, it won't change any time in the near future.

632 Regal
11-02-2005, 01:06 PM
another reply...

Jeff,

I appreciate that. The message that I was trying to get across is that I don't want people to feel like they can't talk to us. If they think something is expensive or if they found it somewhere cheaper, they can say something. Anyway, thanks again for everything. It is good to get feedback from people because it lets us know how we are doing.

Patrick

callen
11-04-2005, 01:48 PM
and thats worth a couple bucks.

632 Regal
11-04-2005, 02:43 PM
the point is, now since I let Patrick know about this post his reply was that they will price match for us which will be a big bonus if you are ordering multiple items at the same time. no need to get the stuff from 10 different places.

REMEMBER if you online order to put DOTINFO for a discount.

Eric Clark
11-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Well it turns out I was wrong :(
www.stopshopanddrive.com could have saved me $10.
Oh well too late now. At least BMA has fast shipping and good service.

Eric Clark
11-04-2005, 06:21 PM
I found building a relationship with the dealers parts department goes a long way. I tell mine what I can get the part online and they almost always come down to be competitive. But I am not near that dealer now.