PDA

View Full Version : Not BMW but a Bentley story of interest.

tony2beemers
11-01-2005, 11:07 AM
Hi all,
I thought some of you folks might like this story which appeared in the British press last week.
When Bob Michie broke down on a remote country road in his 51 year old Bentley, which had been in the family since first purchased, the outlook looked bleak. It was the first time it had ever let Bob down.
It was towed to a garage and the problem was quickly identified as a broken rotor arm.
The mechanics did'nt have a spare and apparently replacements are as rare as rocking horse teeth.
The mechanics scratched their heads wondering what to do to help, when an Automobile Club roadside repair mechanic was passing by in his breakdown van. They beckoned him to stop in the vain hope that he might have the answer to the problem.
"You have'nt got a spare rotor arm for a 1951 Bentley?" they asked, tongue in cheek.
*It just so happens that I have," he replied.
To the amazement of all, the AA man had been carrying around with him the Bentley rotor arm, in his collection of spares, for 28 years 'just in case' and in no time at all Bob was back on the road again.
A spokesman for Bentley said,
"This really is incredible, for a passing motorist, regardless if he is an AA man or not, to have a part for a 51 year old classic car is extraordinary."
"There are very few dealerships in the country that would have this part."
The owner lives in the Scottish Highlands and only uses it on days when the weather is nice and it has covered a total of 102,000 miles. He uses an Audi for ordinary use.
I wonder will I be so lucky if my 1994 520SE ever has a similar problem and will it be around in forty years time? I don't think I will, I'm the wrong side of fifty.
Hope the mods don't mind me putting this story on here.

mikell
11-01-2005, 11:14 AM
Wonderful story - what are the odds? Most times, you'd be lucky to find a guy with the right size lug wrench.

tony2beemers
11-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Wonderful story - what are the odds? Most times, you'd be lucky to find a guy with the right size lug wrench.
Hi Mikell, glad you liked it. I reckon the odds are probably greater than winning the jackpot on the lottery. In the UK that's 14,000,000- 1. But that's just my idea of the odds. I wish I could find the article on the web then you could all see the pics of the car and the guys involved. It was reported in the Daily Mail, Friday October 14th.