PDA

View Full Version : OT: Destination of the year 2006

Interceptor
11-01-2005, 05:24 AM
My country was chosen as the destiation of the year by the National Geographic Adventure magazine! If any of you are interested in how it looks like and what does it have to offer, click here:
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0511/features/croatia_adventure_guide.html

Gayle
11-01-2005, 07:48 AM
That looks really cool. That map only shows cities on the coast. Are all the major cities coastal? Do you live in one of those cities?

For those of us who would like a less aerobic vacation than a week of Kayaking and camping, what city would you recommend visiting? How is the exchange rate with the dollar now?

Interceptor
11-01-2005, 08:26 AM
That looks really cool. That map only shows cities on the coast. Are all the major cities coastal? Do you live in one of those cities?
Yes, I live in the town of Split, second largest city in Croatia, with a population of cca. 300k. Zagreb is our nation's capital, but it's on the continent, and the climate is completely different. Dalmatia, a part of Croatia where my town is located has a mediterranean climate and it's very pleasant to live here thru out the year. Lowest temperatures are around 0°C, and it can get up to 40°C in the summer.

For those of us who would like a less aerobic vacation than a week of Kayaking and camping, what city would you recommend visiting? How is the exchange rate with the dollar now?
Exchange rate is 6 kn (kuna) for 1 US$ or 7.5 kn for 1 EUR.

I would recommend visiting one (or more) of our 1200 islands. My town has direct ferry lines to most of the bigger ones. Split and Dubrovnik are pretty much the most popular tourist destinations for european tourists (which account for 90% of the visits). My home town is 1700 years old and it's built around a palace that roman emperor Diocletian built. So if you like clean sea, good food, warm climate and ancient Roman ruins, this is the place for you to come visit. :)

Croatia is fairly cheap for american people since the avarage monthly sallary here is around $700, so you should be able to enjoy yourself for a longer time and spend less money than in, for example, overpriced Spain or Italy.

Zeuk in Oz
11-01-2005, 04:59 PM
I travelled up the Adriatic coast on the '70s - absolutely beautiful !

Interceptor
11-01-2005, 05:10 PM
I travelled up the Adriatic coast on the '70s - absolutely beautiful !
It's about time you come visit it again! :) I can give you a guided tour + you can meet our local BMW freaks :)

632 Regal
11-01-2005, 05:27 PM
looks like a beautiful place, my grandparents were from croatia.

Interceptor
11-01-2005, 05:45 PM
looks like a beautiful place, my grandparents were from croatia.
Coming from you, I can't really tell if you're serious or not :)

632 Regal
11-01-2005, 06:03 PM
serious on my mothers side, I was adopted by some variation of some cousin or something so I dont know much about my paternal father. Real mothers been a druggie since time began and has no info on father. It gets real deep but I did see pictures from the old country that my great grandma had.

Coming from you, I can't really tell if you're serious or not :)

Interceptor
11-01-2005, 06:53 PM
serious on my mothers side, I was adopted by some variation of some cousin or something so I dont know much about my paternal father. Real mothers been a druggie since time began and has no info on father. It gets real deep but I did see pictures from the old country that my great grandma had.
So there are, like, 1 1/4 Croats on this board! Wheee :)

632 Regal
11-01-2005, 07:47 PM
call it at least a half here :D

Gayle
11-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Split and Dubrovnik are pretty much the most popular tourist destinations for european tourists .

I sent my husband the link and told him "hey, lets go to croatia". And being the master of obscure facts that he is, he told me that we Americans owe Dubrovnik. Back in the 1700s, it was a city kingdom and we were 13 colonies telling our mother country to stick it.

Dubrovnik was the first country to recognize us a country and did so even before we won the war.

We have a saying that "the first olive is the hardest to get out of the jar", meaning that the first of anything is it the hardest and after that all the rest are easy to get. So we owe you for being the first to be willing to stand with us. Others said if those crazy people of america are good enough for Dubrovnik, I guess they deserve to be a country. :)

Interceptor
11-02-2005, 02:17 AM
I sent my husband the link and told him "hey, lets go to croatia". And being the master of obscure facts that he is, he told me that we Americans owe Dubrovnik. Back in the 1700s, it was a city kingdom and we were 13 colonies telling our mother country to stick it.

Dubrovnik was the first country to recognize us a country and did so even before we won the war.

We have a saying that "the first olive is the hardest to get out of the jar", meaning that the first of anything is it the hardest and after that all the rest are easy to get. So we owe you for being the first to be willing to stand with us. Others said if those crazy people of america are good enough for Dubrovnik, I guess they deserve to be a country. :)
Wow, not even I knew that! :)

Interceptor
11-02-2005, 06:31 AM
call it at least a half here :D
Which half, above or below the waist? :)

Gayle
11-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Which half, above or below the waist? :)

Do you really think Jeff has an above the waist?

Interceptor
11-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Do you really think Jeff has an above the waist?
Are you saying he's a complete ass? :)

Gayle
11-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Are you saying he's a complete ass? :)

No I am saying that harems are a croatian thing. ;)

Bill R.
11-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Yes, I live in the town of Split, second largest city in Croatia, with a population of cca. 300k. Zagreb is our nation's capital, but it's on the continent, and the climate is completely different. Dalmatia, a part of Croatia where my town is located has a mediterranean climate and it's very pleasant to live here thru out the year. Lowest temperatures are around 0°C, and it can get up to 40°C in the summer.

Exchange rate is 6 kn (kuna) for 1 US$ or 7.5 kn for 1 EUR.

I would recommend visiting one (or more) of our 1200 islands. My town has direct ferry lines to most of the bigger ones. Split and Dubrovnik are pretty much the most popular tourist destinations for european tourists (which account for 90% of the visits). My home town is 1700 years old and it's built around a palace that roman emperor Diocletian built. So if you like clean sea, good food, warm climate and ancient Roman ruins, this is the place for you to come visit. :)

Croatia is fairly cheap for american people since the avarage monthly sallary here is around $700, so you should be able to enjoy yourself for a longer time and spend less money than in, for example, overpriced Spain or Italy.

Interceptor
11-02-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm stunned how much you people know about my country! :) It exists for 14 years and has less than 5 million people, yet, most of you know where it is and at least some other info about it! :)

Zeuk in Oz
11-02-2005, 07:13 PM
I'm stunned how much you people know about my country! :) It exists for 14 years and has less than 5 million people, yet, most of you know where it is and at least some other info about it! :)

I'd only be worried, if I were you, if George W knew anything about your country - I'm sure he doesn't.
So you're probably safe for now ! :D

Of course we know lots about your country - we watch the Eurovision Song Contest every year without fail !! :D

Interceptor
11-03-2005, 02:10 AM
I'd only be worried, if I were you, if George W knew anything about your country - I'm sure he doesn't.
So you're probably safe for now ! :D

Of course we know lots about your country - we watch the Eurovision Song Contest every year without fail !! :D
LOL, we're safe from George Dubya - we don't have oil! :)